• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Baxter D.C.L.I

acklam19

master brummie
Hi all I hope you can help tie down some facts on George Baxter , he would have been born around 1904 and his parents would have been Nellie and William Baxter. I have not got a birth record for him so that's one problem, I know for a fact that he was living at 351Witton Road Aston in the years 1933,36,37, ln 1933 he was a Absent Voter as he was a Private in the Duke of Cornwalls Light lnfantry No 5435802 but after 1937 he has vanished. I have checked the 1939 census and his mother is a widow and living alone in Witton Road any help would be most appreciated to get past this Brick wall

Regards Acklam19

Could he have been the son of William Baxter and Nelle Platt? There is a Samuel Baxter (brother?) with George on some of the electoral rolls.

If so he was registered Jun qtr 1909 Aston. A Samuel Baxter mmn Platt was registered Mar qtr 1906. There is a possible death for George 1981 Bham, dob 7 Apr 1909.

William Baxter married Nellie Platt 8 Feb 1892. He was older by nearly twenty years. Her age corresponds to the Nellie Baxter in 1939.

In 1911 some if not all of the children were in the workhouse.

Then possibly marries Florence May Parkes 31 May 1941 and has one son.

Were at 515 College Road iin 1950.

Last edited:
Hi mws many thanks for super information as it confirms all that l have with the documents in my possession of Nellie and William Baxters life. William was in the workhouse with three of the children in 1911, two more were living outside as servants I think and so was Nellie with the two year old George, I hope your info will confirm this as it looks about right with the timeline.I will certainly let you know if I am successful.

Many thanks again regards Acklam19

Hi mws I have followed up on the info you gave me and it is spot on. I have managed to find the sons birth in 1947 and his marriage in 1967. George may have been baptised at St Clements Dudderston like the rest of the children and where I went wrong was assuming he was younger than Samuel 1905 because when she had George she was at least 40.

Once again many thanks Regards Acklam19

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back