• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Adams Green, photographer, Publican, Clock Tavern, 94 Alma St, 1833>09

Forgreenies

Hi,

See attached obituary for my relative GAG. He was a photographer with a studio in New Street where Hudson's Bookstore was situated. Also I understand he had a pub on St Phillips Square by the cathedral before building the Clock Tavern in Alma St. Did the name of the pub change to one of the others mentioned on this site?
Any info would be most welcome, thxcard.jpeg

Attachments

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi forgreenies and welcome...this is most interesting thanks for sharing it with us...i have to say that i have never heard of the clock tavern on alma st we could take an educated guess as to when this pub was built unless you have the date ? but hopefully maybe mikejee could look in the trade directories for you he may also be able to post a map highlighting no 94 alma street...as you say the pub may have changed names...many did...will follow this thread with interest

lyn

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Can’t find any mention of a Clock Tavern in Alma Street. The Alma Tavern and the Vine (No64) existed in the 1860s, and also the Salutation where Herbert Walter Green was the main man.

In 1890 at 94 Alma Street was Mrs Ann Hope, Beer Retailer, at the corner with Inkerman Street.

In 1878 there was a photographer at 94 advertising enlargements.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Just to indicate where 94 Alma Street is mentioned, quote from the Salutation/Alma Tavern Thread...

...My relative built the Clock Tavern at 94 Alma Street and was landlord I believe for a number of years. I think prior to that he had a pub somewhere on St Phillips Sq by the cathedral. He was also a photographer, GA Green with a studio where the old Hudsons bookshop was, now by the Apple Store in New St.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
22nd February 1862 there is a sad notification of deaths in the Birmingham Journal. You may not want it mentioned publicly, so I will send if you have the private messaging enabled.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks everyone this could take a bit of sorting out....i noticed forgreenies has also posted more or less the same request on another thread so to save members posting on both threads which could confuse the issue could we keep all help and replies to this thread please thanks...looking at pedros post 3 no 94 alma street was once the vine pub

lyn

Last edited:

Forgreenies

22nd February 1862 there is a sad notification of deaths in the Birmingham Journal. You may not want it mentioned publicly, so I will send if you have the private messaging enabled.
Intrigued... Private messaging ....??? what do I need to do? I'm a neubee

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
thanks everyone this could take a bit of sorting out....i noticed forgreenies has also posted more or less the same request on another thread so to save members posting on both threads which could confuse the issue could we keep all help and replies to this thread please thanks...looking at pedros post 3 no 94 alma street was once the vine pub

lyn
Sorry I should have made it clearer, I put No64 in brackets meaning the Vine was at 64.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The position of 94 Alma St is shown in red on the map c1889 below. I will endeavour to find more information.

map c1889 showing 94 alma st.jpg

Last edited:
Mike has marked the correct building according to later mapping. No.94 is named the Clock Tavern in the census of 1881, the next entry being the Dew Drop Inn on the other side of Inkerman Street. The obituary makes very interesting reading. I wonder what happened to his archive of negatives etc. Now that would be something to behold.

Forgreenies

Can’t find any mention of a Clock Tavern in Alma Street. The Alma Tavern and the Vine (No64) existed in the 1860s, and also the Salutation where Herbert Walter Green was the main man.

In 1890 at 94 Alma Street was Mrs Ann Hope, Beer Retailer, at the corner with Inkerman Street.

In 1878 there was a photographer at 94 advertising enlargements.
This suggests that 94 was on the corner with Inkerman St ?? If you agree, I will search images of Inkerman St

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
This suggests that 94 was on the corner with Inkerman St ?? If you agree, I will search images of Inkerman St
when searching for images of inkerman st i believe there were 2 streets of this name...the one you want is the one in aston...there was also another one over duddeston way

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
how sad to lose 2 young children within 2 days of each other..heartbreaking but unfortunately typical of the times..

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have a photo of the dew drop stores corner of inkerman and alma st but thats no good ..looking at the position of where no 94 was i dont really think its worth while looking for pics of inkerman st ..better off looking for pics of alma st or even a long shot of clifford st because if you look at the map clifford st is in alignment with no 94 alma street...think i have that right

lyn