• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

General Wolfe Public House

• Thread starter www.midlandspubs.co.uk
  • Start date
My interest lies due to the fact that the pub used to hold inquests there prior to the time when we had a Coroner's Court built & I have an ancestor who had his inquest held there in 1854 which decided that he hanged himself whilst in a state of insanity.
That's amazing. My ancestor Theophilus Harrison was publican of the General Wolfe for at least 1855-61 and possibly longer. If you have any documentation to share about its use for inquests, I would love to see it.

In the 1841,1845 and 1850 directories, a Theophilus Harrison was a manufacturer of weavers mails (??) at 7 New John st (in 1855 court 1 New John St, which might be the same place). In 1855 directory a person of this name is also listed separately at the General Wolfe. Not clear if it was the same person. It was not uncommon for landlords then to also have another trade. should be noted that the year is publication year and probably refers to the year before, when survey was carried out, In the 1862 directory he is at the General Wolfe, but the other mention of someone of that name has disappeared. By the 1867 directory James Clulee junior was licensee. Newspaper reports show that he took over the licence in march 1852 and Sarah Harrison (wife?) relinquished it in may 1865

taking over licence Birm Journal 6.3.1852.jpgtransfer of licence birm daily gazette 5,5,1865.jpg

With regard to inquests , i take it you are really only interested in ones while Harrison was licensee, and ones I have found in the newpapers are below:
Do have copies of others if you are also interested in them . A large proportion were from drowning in the canal. At that time it was common for inquests to be held of bodies at a pub near where the death happened. In fact some pubs were required to maintain a room in which the bodies could be stored till the proceedings. this caused complaints from many landlords

Aris gazette 20.9.1858.jpgBirm daily gazette,5.5.1865.jpgBirm Daily gazette.20.4.1865.jpgbirm popst 5.9.1861.jpgBirm post.3.5.1860.jpgBirm post.8.3.1856.jpg

looking at those reports mike love lane was a very unlucky place to live

lyn

With regard to inquests , i take it you are really only interested in ones while Harrison was licensee, and ones I have found in the newpapers are below:
Do have copies of others if you are also interested in them . A large proportion were from drowning in the canal. At that time it was common for inquests to be held of bodies at a pub near where the death happened. In fact some pubs were required to maintain a room in which the bodies could be stored till the proceedings. this caused complaints from many landlords

View attachment 140395View attachment 140396View attachment 140397View attachment 140398View attachment 140399View attachment 140400
Thank you so much Mike for posting these reports. They give such an insight into people's lives in that area at the time and are really interesting.

Hi, have just come across this General Wolfe thread. My dad, Dennis Ashton, was licensee between 1953 and 1956. I’m hoping I can post a picture of him behind the bar (along with an unknown man, presumably a customer) I was 4 when we left and can remember playing among the crates of empties in the back yard.

Attachments

• 1D478734-A044-4DFB-80EA-37B963B99CF5.jpeg
    1D478734-A044-4DFB-80EA-37B963B99CF5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Back