• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

General Tips

R

Rod

If you have a tin of paint that is still useable but has those annoying bits in, then may I suggest you steal your wifes tights!!! You can use a piece of the leg to place over the can and use your brush through the tights to take on "BIT FREE" paint.

Tips & Tricks

I haven't any tips but my memory went back to the cleaning agents used by my mother when I was a child. Lively Polly washing up powder, Zebo
black lead to polish the grate, Ronuk polish, Rinso washing powder, lux flakes (we also used this to wash our hair unless we could get hold of my older sister's DRENE shampoo. Izal toilet paper (as good as useless) this
after we had progressed from cut up newspapers on a piece of string.

Vinigar and lemon juice seemed to be the most universal cleaners in our house. Of course, the front step had to be done with Red Cardinal.

I can remember seeing women sitting out on the upstairs window ledges with their legs inside to clean the windows. (They built 'em brave in those days, eh?) :shock: They'd finish them off by polishing them (the windows that is :wink: ) with old newspapers.

Reckit's Blue

My dad used to do a lot of decorating for folk, cash in hand of course! People always marvelled at how white his ceilings were. The trick? crumble a pellet of Reckitts Blue into the paint. Always worked a treat.

Soap suds

Since I often came home with oil or tar on my white ankle socks,mostly from the roads when they would be tarred and gravelled, my mother would
use yellow Fairy soap and even Knight's Castile Toilet soap to remove it.
Something in the soap melted the oil and tar.

Women often sponged down clothing with a vinegar and ammonia mixture and hung the clothing outside to air. Remember how people sometimes
smelled of moth balls.....especially when they brought out their special
occasion clothing for a wedding or funeral.

Domestos Bleach...very strong.... was used to wash off green mould which
would sometimes appear on certain items in the house due to the
wet climate.

We also used 1001 carpet cleaner for rugs and mats. Great stuff.....you could often see a demonstration for this product at a market usually.
An awfully dirty looking bit of carpet suddenly appearing brand new!!!!!!

:D Baking Soda & White Vinigar, will do the trick in the washing, for those B.O smells and staines. I still add this to all my washing today in the machine, and it helps clean the machine parts out too. :idea:

:D A few more tips from up my sleeve :!:

1) Put your flowers in the fridge over night while your asleep, and they will last for ages (I remember my uncle doing that with my wedding flowers). Also add food colouring to the water of white flowers, slice the stem upwards first and leave over night, change to clear water (Blue looks cool on white Carnations).

2) A cotton ball soaked in bleach, placed where the top of the bath meets the tiles for 15 minutes will clean out the grime from this hard to clean asea.

3) And for something a little more up to date. Old unusable CD's are great in the cupboard as coasters, under Sauce, Cooking oil, and any other bottles, or foodstuffs that may drip, or leave marks on the shelf and they are easy to wipe clean. :D

Tips and tricks

For smelly shoes and trainers :oops:

Put a liberal helping of Bicarbonate of Soda inside each shoe, enough to cover the inner sole, leave overnight, and by morning they will be as fresh as the day you bought them, ( ahem, not that I suffer with the problem).

It's winter again and the rats are coming in off the fields into the barns after my chicken feed. Last year I bought traps and a shotgun but without much success. Blew a Rhode Island Red's head off by mistake - tasted good though !
This year have blocked the holes in the barn with the excavated earth mixed with broken glass. Hee, hee, got the sods ! lot's of red ratty footprints all over the place. Bet it hurt.
:twisted:

Rod - nI tried this but it didnt work......should my wife have taken the tights off first?

If you have a tin of paint that is still useable but has those annoying bits in, then may I suggest you steal your wifes tights!!! You can use a piece of the leg to place over the can and use your brush through the tights to take on "BIT FREE" paint.

Don't ya just love it when new members come along and dig up these little nuggets that we'd all but forgotten? Thanks bestcover. O0 I can now see how you fitted in with our little band so easily. ;)

er...I think we BRA wimmin might have to watch this one! :knuppel2: ;)

NIFTY FOR CAVING AND / OR STROLLING TOW PATHS IS TIGHTS UNDER THE TROUSER IN ORDER TO SO HOLD IN HEAT FROM LEGS AND HIPS.

BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER TO VENTILATE NORMAL FRESH AIR OTHERWISE FUNGUS DERMIS STUFF AND WORSE OF COURSE STILL 'NEATH

Back