• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

General Hospital Birmingham

I was in the new General over Christmas 1963 - there weren't any nuns there then as far as I know. The nurses wore starched aprons and caps and were incredibly kind.
Thank you Lady Penelope, this would have been in the 50's so maybe the old hospital. in Radiorails post, the portion that intrigued me was their head ware or gear as we would say now. It was tall & high very starched.

The Sisters of Charity were said, in 1969, to have run the Warwickshire Orthopaedic Hospital, St Gerards, for many years. But this was a Catholic based hospital. Did they, or any other nuns, have involvement in the General Hospital other than for religious purposes? The training of nurses in 1964 had been taking over to the Queen Elizabeth.

So I should wear my wrist watch on my right wrist ?. As I am left handed.
All nurses are right handed ?...........Its not a wrist watch is it
its optional they put it opposite the pen pocket.and its upside down so they dont have to touch it. thats what yahoo says.

It’s always struck me as a well equipped and staffed hospital, at least I like to think of it that way. My grandad passed away there in April 1929 of pneumonia - probably due to flu at that time. Hopefully he had the best care, although there’s no sure way of me knowing.

I recently found this about the Hospital: A large archive of memorabilia from Birmingham General Hospital was reported uncovered in a loft in 2021. Some artefacts are dated 1898 with others through to 1965. It’s possible they may have originally belonged to a barber who worked in the hospital from the mid-1920s to 1941.

The archive contains items from the earlier Summer Lane Hospital too. The items were to be given to. Birmingham Museums.

The images below of some items are from this nhs link: https://bwc.nhs.uk/news/hospital-hi...-to-be-preserved-for-future-generations-3823/

0432E4A9-F4A2-4E0D-8957-6141543D3B1C.jpegC1382505-AF2D-4006-97D8-3FA332E4BB16.jpeg

Back