• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

General Hospital, Birmingham

Brock

master brummie
Does anyone know of a good source where I may obtain a very brief history of the General Hospital, Birmingham please?

Thanks,
Brock.

The hospital opened in September 1779. It comprised 40 beds, four nurses and physicians and a barber. For several years prior to its opening, funds were raised through a number of musical concerts and other donations. In 1766 Dr John Ash, a local physician published in the Gazette a proposal to build "A general Hospital for the Relief of the Sick and Lame"

For a detailed history The History of Birmingham by Chris Upton is fine resource. A truly remarkable history of Birmingham [For a Villa Fan] I can heartily recommend it. It is published by Phillimore of Chichester, West Sussex

Back