• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC WITTON WORKS

i went back today and stared up at that circle just to imagine a swastika in it,the hairs on the back of my neck went up,normally my disposition about life is that its all good fun,but staring up there it felt like i had been transported back to an evil place,it was really a a very strange and sobering thought

as an experiment,any of you clever guys or gals out there,would it be possible to superimpose a aswastika on the photo,and print it in say the restricted area of the forum so as not to cause offence ,then you might experience what i felt today.it could called distateful ,but restricted access would make one think very serously of the consequencies,not much fases me,but this image certainly did .YOU TRY IT

I never heard that story and to tell you the truth I had never noticed this feature before reading about it here. Can't say that I was in that building more than a couple of times but passed it every day on the way to the Magnet Club for lunch/dinner. Since the Nazis did not win the war I notice that the RAF arundels were not installed though. The first wage packet that I recieved there was 10s & 6d. Did'nt go far even in those days. After a year though I think we got a five bob raise.
I suppose that was par for the course but somehow I have difficulty feeling nostalgic about those days

Rupert, at least folks seemed to be Happier in there job's In my days at WITTON .They had time to have a joke with work mates and still produce World beating products. My wages as a E.D.O. Apprentice 30/- (£1.50p in todays money) at the age of 21 I actualy made the £1000/year while working in the Relay Shop Switchgear Works.When that dept closed in 1960 I moved in to THE MAIN ADMI; BLOCK, ROTATING PLANT SALES DEPT,(TAKING A DROP IN SALARY AS IT WAS CLASSED TRAINING) I was on £10/week for the next 2 years.
In those day you did not get full salary untill you reached the age of 25 on the staff. Then and only then could you join the pension fund and expect to get an annual pay rise.
Do you remember the old commisionair on that main door only the big boys got to go in that way the likes of Mr Grace, Mr Morton, Mr Krouse etc;
The side doors would have to do for us plebs,that was untill C.A.PARSONS took over.On becoming a Senior Contract Engineer within Projects Dept;I at last got to go up these hallowed steps and in through that portal.

dollyferret,why the worry it did not happen, do you really wish to see that thing up there on such a greand old building Ido not think so.

Do you remember when you had to drive through a building site to get to and from the magnet club,that wsa when they were building the motorway and Gravely inter change. what a mess how ever they made it turn out OK I will never know, these road builder are so clever.
This is a pic taken from my car on our way back from lunch way back then.

HI ASTON,
I,ve Just Been Reading Your Thread On The Old GEC At Witton
And I Seen The Word Parson,s Mentioned As A Senior Contractors .
My Old Father In Law Worked At Parsons GEC
For About Thirty Years At Least He Was An Forman , And Senior Inspector
There , He Died About Four Or Five Years Ago
He Lived In WRYLEY wAY Erdinton
And His Name Was Charlie Williams , Just Wondering Whether You Ever Came Across Him .

Astonian, do you know what Dept he worked in or which part of GEC/PARSONS as it was a very big factory even after the take over by C.A. PAROSNS,Iam sorry but the name is not one I recall.

Hi Aston ,
At This Precise Time I Can Not Tell You
Because My Memory Aint What It Used To Be
But I Will Find Out Tomorrow And Let You Know The Deparment
He Was In . But I Know He Was There For The Lengh Of Time I Said ,
Speak To You Soon ,

Stafford Fred.

Was an a GEC apprentice in 1965, a C A Parsons apprentice in 1965

Worked with Tom Dilworth, Kieth Richardson in Projects moved into Tyburn Road after the closure of Witton.

Then worked at GEC Rugby, GEC Stafford, Parsons Peebles, Clarke Chapman, Dowding & Mills and now AREVA T & D (old Gec Measurements Stafford Site)

In answer to your question Viv Horder died several years ago. Kieth Richardson is still going strong as is Tom after two new hips.

Jim Allworth has changed his name to Stafford Fred.

Regards to all old Witton stars.

Welcombe Stafford Fred

Welcombe The This Site, Jim, It Time To Tell All Those Witton Tales. Nice To Here From You After All The Years.
Get In Touch If You Can, May Be We Could Have A Beer?
Aston

Stafford Fred

Yes I remember Keith Jenny. We shared a car for three Years following Witton Closure when he, Ray Ashdown and I worked at Rugby.

Viv Horder, Keith and I used to watch the local cloggers at Villa Park.

Regards:D

Get In Touch

Jim I have sent you a PM, ASKING FOR YOUR email Address. Lets get in touch.Do you know how RAY is theses days????
KEITH (ASTON)

Aston during the terrible winter of 1947 the GEC at Witton was shut till the weather improved, here is a photo of the toolmakers on their first day back.......they were all sent telegrams telling them to come back to work

old times remembered

Thank for that one Cromwell, they do not look very happy about being back,only the foreman has a smile.
I was 7 years old & living in Ward end at that time.
My dad had been working in the Beacon shop making air field beacon's for the RAF before that & had just moved into 45 stores in the high tention dept around about the time of that photo.
Iwish he was here to see all the memories posted on this site,he would have many a tale to tell about the old day's at witton.;)
I wished I had asked more, but when you are young you only think about today.???
ASTON

Here attached is a photograph of all that was left of GEC machines design and Peebles Projects when it moved from Witton to Tyburn road.

George Bebe is not on the Photo as he took it,

projects photo

Hi jim I lost my copy of that photo can you post it as a jpeg as Iam having problems downloading it from the format you have uploaded it in.
Its nice to see all those old faces again.HAD SOME GOOD TIMES you me & old Viv rest his sole.
Please get in touch.
ASTON (Keith Jenney)

Hello Jim

Hello Jim are you still with us? I need you to give me your reply? as we my have more to post RE WITTON if we put our heads together?
Names, Places, Dates.
My memory these day need a jolt in order to recall events,??? so get in touch please.
ASTON (Keith)

Gec

Anyone know anyone in switchgear inspection 1952/3?

Which section of Transformer DO did you work in.?Remember GGMorris, the Boss.? I was in Transformer Design Esytimating Chokes. Did you know Pete Cashmore Choke section DO.?

The motor on the plinth (Higg motors) was a 1 HP I believe in a large body. It is reputed to have run from when the factory was first built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Open Days

Hi Did you ever go to the works open day and see the Transfomer Test High voltage flash over from those large copper balls, it was just like a thunder clap,
My Dad took me to see the office were he worked ,got me hooked just had to join GEC when I left School,my first job as a GEC Apprentice was in E.D.O Over in the admin block my section leader was a Mr ROBERTS we never called any one by there first names back then.
Fetching tracings from the drawing stores getting the sections tea & the odd days on the drawing board ,ho and one day a week back at ASTON TECH & three nights NIGHT SCHOOL.It seemed hard at the time but it all worked out for the best in later life.
KEEP POSTING THEM MEMORIES
ASTON
and any pics of time spent with GEC

Back