• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi, Rupert, Well at last I have been passed the old GEC Site, wow what  a change, but for the old admin block being still there it would be hard to find your way round.
The main block is but a frontage now! I could not find any  buildings on the electic ave side that are still standing.So tried to get to the Magnet Club had to drive all the way round to the Brookvale gate, this was locked so if the attached pic are a bit not up to LORD LICHFIELD STD;      I am sorry LOL had to take then through the gate railings .
All the best ASTON

Wow Aston!! You have done us proud. From what you say the main building is to be preserved. Well, how could you demolish something as proud as that? These are wonderful pictures. I remember the Magnet club from the other direction of course. You will remember the entrance to the cafeteria was at the other end. But it still stands there proudly and looks to be in good shape. Could you see the grounds from there? Is the cricket pitch still used? When I looked down on it with Google Earth I thought that it might be derelect it seemed to be dissapearing under a highway. Any idea what the plans are for the place. Many thanks.
Regards.

Or was it ICI, Alfie. We had memorable New Years dances there in the 50's. Ivy Benson, Jo Loss et al.

I went to one ICI New Years Dance a month before I had to report for National Service at the begining of Febuary 1955, I'm sure I went to The Magnet as my Sisters worked there in fact I went a few times in the 60s. I remember it being by Brookvale Park :)

My fist job after leaving school in 1946, at the tender age of 14, was at the GEC. Witton.  :smitten:

Sat inside one of the huge stators "taping up" the windings.   :idiot2:
The managers office was high up at the end of the bay, where he could survey all that was going on   :knuppel2:.
Distinctly remember climbing the stairs to his office to give in my notice after 2 weeks !  O0

Only vague memories of eating in the Magnet Club  :(

Hi,RUPERT. Things I do for you, heres the one you asked for, I could only see the footee pitch from the railings.
The Magnet Club is now I think,  ethnic social club  for GREEKS? just look at the state of the sign!
Hope this is what you wished to see,Regards ASTON :-\

Aston Your great. Thanks so much. The site of a memorable innings. The site of an infamous field hocky game played against a GEC womens team I think. Still have the bruises. It's not what I hoped to see though probably the same for you.
Regards.

When I was courting my ex husband in the mid 1950s we often used to go to the Magnet Club, they had very good dances there at the time.  The last time I went there was in the 1970s when they held regular Country & Western nights, I think to a group who hired the club, we only went once, they were a friendly crowd, but so intense about their interests, they started off with shooting at targets, the room was so filled with smoke, but the lasting impression I have is when the raised the Stars and Stripes flag and gathered round to sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic, and many of them had tears in their eyes.  We felt outsiders looking in on a private ceremony!! as everyone but us was dressed in cowboy or cowgirl outfits.

Yes they new how to put on a good dance at the club, two of the main stays on the club commitee were  GEC bowling bubbies of mine Jimmy Jack & Alec Sutton. It was the time when men had dinner suits and the ladies wore evening dress. I remember dancing to  Sid Lawance? and his band I say dancing more like prancing my wife was the dancer in our family,it was great fun all the same.
THE MEMORIES COME FLOODING BACK ON THIS WEB SITE
MANY THANKS FOR A VERY VERY GOOD SITE.
ASTON

This one's for RayD 2 weeks a GEC Winder.Hope it brings back memories of those 2 weeks.
regards ASTON

My mother worked at the GEC early 50s,she assembled runway lights.They worked on' piece work' and when the person came round to set the price they would work very slowly.

There was a lot of union involvement in the 50s.In the 1970s the West Midlands County Council had a leader called Sir Stanley Yapp and my Mom recalled that he was once her union convenor,then plain Stan Yapp.

Alberta, my dad assembled runway beacons during the war at GEC witton.Later he became chairman of the clarks & clerical union succeeding Jimmy Meadows who later became Lord MAYOR of BIRMINGHAM. Both Sir Stanley Yapp & Jimmy Meadows were long time union colleagues of my dad William Jenney.
When they were running down the GEC Witton.Councilers ,SILVERMAN,HOWLES, and many others visted Witton to try to prevent the unpreventable.Standing on a flatback trailer in Turbo Drive it was stated by the named councilers " WE WILL NOT LET WITTON CLOSE" this was followed be a March round the block down to Witton ,passed the Villa [grounds and back down Electric Ave. :-[

This photo was take at dinner in the Winter Gardens Blackpool on GEC  Annual  outing to the Lights Time about mid- fifties. In the picture is on the left side table, My Dad, Brother, Mom & I next to me is my aunt, uncle & cousin.In the botton left can be seen my other Aunt & Uncle. The price on the back of this print was Whole 2/- That is two shillings (20p for you young uns) ;D
Rupert I am still looking see any photos of inside the Magnet Club, do you have any?

Sorry Aston. That part of my life was gone untill you and Keith Berry posted some pictures. I must dig out my old photo's though there might be some other stuff thet would be of interest here.
Regards.

Speaking of large stators I guess some of you will remember Vic Easton and Bernard ? who were designers. Do you know where the stator on the Wynne's trailer was bound for and do you remember the building of a divided winding rotor for the CEGB at Didcot Power station. I have dined in the Magnet club on several occasions as a visitor and enjoyed the old GEC hospitality both before and after dare I say it Mr Weinstock I used to be a projects man with CEGB

Back