• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gavagan help needed

dottieau

master brummie
I am hoping that I might find help with this problem please.On the 1881 census I have.
Peter Gavagan born 1851 Birmingham wife Elizabeth
children Ellen born 1879 Birmingham
Elizabeth born 1880 Birmingham birth certificate states mother Elizabeth Leonard. Birmingham register could not find a record for Ellen

1883 Hugh Gavagan born mother Elizabeth Leonard have birth cert
1883 Hugh Gavagan died
1886 Hugh Gavaghan born. mother Elizabeth Leonard have birth cert
Familyserch has mothers name for Elizabeth as Lemom and Lannon for the 2 Hugh's. I am trying to find a marriage for Peter and Elizabeth on free bmd around 1971- 1975 there are Gavagan marriages Mary and Margaret are sisters to Peter. They would have been married at St Chads or St Josephs. I was hoping some one may have this name in there family and be able to help. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

The 1881 shows only one Peter Gavagan in UK. your family member.
Peter Gavagan married in DEC 1871 Birmingham,ref. 6d 400 the female listing are
Mary McDonnell and Catherine Rogers this does not mean that either married Peter, there
are many instances of the spouse being omitted from Free BMD.

Hi Dottieau

Have you seen the Family Search records of the following? Sorry If I'm repeating info although I know it doesn't help with the marriage.

Peter Gavagan: Ohio deaths: Born 21 Jan 1853 Bham died 4th May 1929 Toledo, Lucas, Ohio. Parents Peter Gavagan (Irish) Mother Ellen (Irish) Spouse Elizabeth Occupation Glassworker, Libby Co. Street Address 120 Cherry buried 7th May 1929

Eliza Lennon Born 25 Apr 1852 christened at St Chad's 9th May 1852, Parents Joannia Lennon & Mariae Gill

Ohio deaths: Elizabeth Gavagan born 1855 Bham death 27 Oct 1930 Toledo, Lucas, Ohio.(Widow) Parents John Lennon & Mary Gill - buried 30 Oct 1930 Calvary Cemetery.

There also what look like various births/deaths of their children.

regards
Suzanne

Thank you Alberta the only trouble is sending to GRO it seems if you don't have the correct details they do not send the certificate. I will give it a try thanks for your thoughts though.

Suzanne thank you for your help the information you have given me is what I am trying to match up with my Gavagan's my Peter was born 1851 but it was 21st January his father was Patrick but Peter was a glass cutter. I have also found the death for Ellen in Ohio that gives the names of the parents as Lannon and Gill. Her birth date match's 1879 Birmingham. It all seems to much of a coincidence for it not to be the same family as they are the only ones born in Birmingham. The only other Gavagan family at that time in Birmingham had father names James. Thanks you both again for trying to help me its driving me crazy

Hi referring back to my question. I have the marriage certificate and Peter Gavagan married Mary McDonnell 23rd October 1871 at St Chads Bath Street Birmingham. by certificate in the prescience of Mary Leary and John Moffat. I cannot find any death for a Mary Gavagan that would make it possible for the children to have the mothers maiden name Elizabeth Leonard. The only Mary McDonnell I can find living in Birmingham on the 1871 census was living in Cherry Street born in Wigan. Any thoughts on my problem would be very much appreciated thank you for your time.

Back