• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gate Inn, Icknield Street, earlier listed in Warston Lane

Peter
As a slight addition, the recently added Land tax records that have been added to Ancestry show a Miss Colmore having Isaac as a tenant in Northwood St in 1815 paying land tax of 5¾ pence. No other details listed

Hi,thanks for your message.I am quite sure that your 3G Grandfather did take over The Gate Inn in 1848 from my 3G Grandfather Isaac Homer. The end of Warstone lane did become part of Icknield St. My 3G moved further down Icknield St, (No's 148/149). he carried on with his carriage business and his shop. He was quite old by then, (at least 67/68 years old in 1848).
He died in 1858 and was buried in Key Hill Cemetery. His daughter Caroline Cole (nee Homer) carried on running the business, she is in the 1861 census at that address.I am going to the Birmingham library next week hoping to find information with maps/pictures or have you done this already? Hope I can find some information for us. Thanks again, Peter Homer

Looks like Isaac was buried in a Public Grave, near the key Hill Entrance.
There would be no Surviving Headstone

HOMER
Isaac 1858 A 13 13839

Brian

Thanks for that new information that I can add to my family History.I am quite sure this info is my 3G Grandfather. Although he married at St Peters church , Harborne in 1810 to Henrietta Croft,his first child was baptised in 1812 in St Philips church,Birmingham. If you find any more info I would really appreciate it. Thanks again,Peter Homer

Thanks, I have a map of all the graves in Key Hill Cemetery and where three of my family are buried. There is a slim chance that if there were any Headstones they may be buried within about two feet down or so. Any advice or information from you would be appreciated.Thanks again, Peter Homer

Peter, The Burial Register is held at Handsworth Cemetery, but Genealogy is £10m per person and can wait weeks to be dealt with.
The Registers were photographed, transcribed and computerised by www.bmsgh.org.
A copy of the entry can be obtained from [email protected] - Abou£4
It will have exact date of Burial, age, address, Name of person arranging the funeral, name of Minister. Early ones have cause of death!

Brian

ps - If there was a headstone, unlikey on the early Public Graves, they would have been buried long ago. The ones that survived ubntil the 1960's and were buried byu the Council are also recorded in the BMSGH records.
Brian

The Gate Inn was owned by my husbands Gt Uncle Harry Walker between 1921 and 1930 (source Kellys and the Electoral Rolls) not sure about before or after that but I know that he was at the British Oak Stirchley in the 1940's and 50's.

thought i had one somewhere maggie...the gate inn dated 1967

lyn
thegateinnickneildst1967_zpse0def737.jpg

Maggie
Harry Walker is shown at The Gate in Kellys up to 1938. He has gone by the 1939 edition. He is not listed as there in 1915

I remember this pub very well because I lived close to it. The side door is where I used to go into the outdoor to get crisps etc. What a lovely pic this is. Looking up to the left of the pic, next door but one was Morgans Fish and Chip shop, another favourite haunt of mine.

glad that pic brings back memories for you maggs...cant beat the chippies back then..

lyn

We have indeed Lyn. Icknield St today isn't a patch on the place it used to be. There were lot's of great shops. Like Baines, Wimbush, Hickmans, Stoddards, Reece and Felix, etc etc. Lyn, they certainly made fish and chips better in those days too. On Spring Hill, we had a faggot and peas shop, which we used to take our own basin to and have it filled up. Those were the days eh?

Nice photos of this interesting building. I've commented in other threads about corbelled turrets on corner buildings. I suppose they were mainly decorative but useful for looking along both streets from one room ! What was the name of the side road in the photos? I must have passed the pub many times in the 1950's on the way to Spring Hill.
oldmohawk

Old Mohawk, I don't believe it was a road as far as I can remember, it was just like an alleyway. I certainly don't remember any houses being down there.

The alleyway originally led to Alfred's Place, so presumably at one time it would have been so-labelled

Here is the advert showing The Gate for sale from The Birmingham Daily Post 7th May 1863

Attachments

• the_gate_7-5-1863_copy.JPG
    the_gate_7-5-1863_copy.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
Back