• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gaskin Sammy

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
I Am Looking For Info; OnThe Gaskin Family,
The Father Was Sammy Gaskin And He Married A Lady Of Irene ,
And They Lived At No 1 Cromwell Terrace Lichfield Rd Aston,
I Beleive SamWas In The Tank Divison Corp. When He Came Out After The WarHe Became A Senior Commisonair Some Where ,
This Would Have Been Around The 1940,S UntilThe 1950,s
He Had Children Named Colin , Sandra Whom Was His Oldest Kids
I Beleive Sandra And One Other Of Her Sisters Worked At HpSauce In Aston Cross , ColinThe Son Joined The Tank Reg; ThenHe Came Out
The Last IHeard Of The Gaskin FamilyThey Was ALiving Up Tower Rd Aston
During The Sixties And Seventies If Possble Would Any Body Know Of Them
Or Any Of The Sibbling Today Or May Be Colin The Son
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Re: SammyGaskin

HI LLOYED
Yes That Is Correct I Beleive Can You Enlighten Any More On That
Many ThANKS ASTONIAN;;

I just found the birth registration and wondered if it was the same chap.

my grandad was named samuel gaskin, he lived in new john street west around 1940s to 1960s his second wife was named fannie he had three daughters lilian florence and olive i dont know if he belonged to same family.best wishes his grandaughter gill.

I Am Looking For Info; OnThe Gaskin Family,
The Father Was Sammy Gaskin And He Married A Lady Of Irene ,
And They Lived At No 1 Cromwell Terrace Lichfield Rd Aston,
I Beleive SamWas In The Tank Divison Corp. When He Came Out After The WarHe Became A Senior Commisonair Some Where ,
This Would Have Been Around The 1940,S UntilThe 1950,s
He Had Children Named Colin , Sandra Whom Was His Oldest Kids
I Beleive Sandra And One Other Of Her Sisters Worked At HpSauce In Aston Cross , ColinThe Son Joined The Tank Reg; ThenHe Came Out
The Last IHeard Of The Gaskin FamilyThey Was ALiving Up Tower Rd Aston
During The Sixties And Seventies If Possble Would Any Body Know Of Them
Or Any Of The Sibbling Today Or May Be Colin The Son
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;
Samuel Gaskin from Aston was my GrandFather.

Hi mark G
My name is alan,my forum name is Astonian,and i have been trying for years to try ad track your family down
I made numerous attempts to try and track colin, whom is your grand dads son down for years
but of no avail until you have come on here
your family as you can see by my old previuos attempts on the last thread i wrote
your grand dad was an comissioner at Herculies bike factory on lichfield road aston cross
where they produced police cycles and other types of bike for many years
he was exforces from military and he was a very strict man and a smart man as well
we both lived up the terrace of cromwell square as its listed on electrol rolls of birmingham
is wife and colins mom was irene she was a good looking woman as like sam, was very strict with
colin and his sisters as we was only kids at that time just after the war years
colin and myself was great friends we was like brothers shared things and done things together
And we grew up to gether to an older and we both joined the forces together on the same day
we enlisted together at great charles street , colin followed his dad and grand dads foot steps
and went into the tank regiment and i followed my father,s regiment the royal warickshire regiment
we went our seperate ways then for awhile but after time of departure
our both platoon regiments met up at lichfield barracks for a good lengh of time
then they shipped us out i am not sure where colin went but i went to mindon germany
sadly we lost contact
after a couple of years i came out and went back to aston but by this time cromwell square was demolished and gone
but my oldest sister whom knew of Irene said they moved to tower road aston
but by then that had gone as well
so yes sammy gasin,was a great fun bloke we had fun with him
i lived at number five cromwell terrace and colin was at number one
the beginning of the terrace of twenty houses we always had birthday partys in his house and mine
every year your grand dad built an extention to number one where they lived
we spent alot of time in there together with all his cars
mark i hope you do not mind me asking but what part of the family you are coming into
0f samuel being your grand father side
also may i asked is it possible for you to email me to speak further and let me know of any info on colin
Is he still alive now or as he passed away do you see the rest of the girls his sisters i think it was about four or five
he had i know sandra was the oldest and one was a thin girl but i just cannot think of her name
As i am typing this thread what comes to my mind is there a member whom did put
on this forum and he his a well known and highly respected for his knowledge
and he as down a lady of gough whom was your grand fathers mother
the gough family lived up the terrace as well whom was also our very good friends to us
living directly to our house up the terrace her name was jenny whom used to play with colin and myself
well mark i have to shoot of now ,i look foreward to hearing from you again on the forum
best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian;;;;;;;;;;

Hi Alan.

My name is Mark Samuel Gaskin and it's great to hear some history on my Grandfather , I never did know much about him, I am one of four sons descending from Anthony Gaskin who was Colin's Brother. My dad was a toolmaker at Ford and we moved to South Africa in 1983 where I still live. My dad passed away 4 years ago , and if memory serves me right Colin passed away in 2004. Colin has a son called Richard , who coincidentally visited me in Port Elizabeth South Africa last week. He lives in Poland and works as CEO of General Electric Poland.

Colin has a living brother Graham who still lives in Birmingham , I will try to get you his phone number.

I have sent a copy of your post to Colin's son Richard and will endeavor to put the 2 of you in touch as I am sure he will be able to share many memories.

All the best and chat soon

Mark

Hi Colin.
many thanks for coming foreward on our forum, and reqeusting info, on your grand father sammy
I was estatic to see your name Gaskin, for many years i had put calls out to try and find the family
but to no avail nothink
when did your grand dad sammy pass away, and whay year can you put on my dear friend colin
and old was sammy when he died we left the terrace years before they demoed the terraceand sammy was alive
when we enlisted the forces together on the same time of the same day and called in for the medical
and also swearing in for the legions for serving our country and the queen
we had a great bringing up together we was the cock of the terrace of cromwell on lichfield road
we used to take on a family of boys along the road from another terrace we would always fight them
Any way, when i came back to brum my oldest sister told me that colin had a big row with his mom over some think
and told him to go but where ever he went she did not know nor did my sister come to the fact
your grand father was a smartly dressed man and your grand mother was a very sharp looking lady as well
and very strict with them all he had some sisters ,sandra, and i think for some reason it might have been linda
a junior to sandra after we left aston to ladywood i went back and i think there was one or two little boys trying to rumble along the
pathe to get to the front garden gate i think that must have been there new adition
irene was a slim lady and tallist when sam went to work he had a chest full of medals and stripes on hiis jacket
as i said he worked at herculies on the lichfield road facing ansells brewery gates as you may or not know we lived next door to ansell s
Brewery on lichfield road
we both done some stupid things when we was growing up and they was danerous we could have got killed many times in our young lives
well mark its coming up to midnight and as its news years eve i have to go out with the wife celebrate
but before i go many thanks for letting me know about colin so now i have to call off my research in finding him
i was abit disturb to hear he as passed away, i dearly hope you make contact with his son and let him know
look foreward to hearing from you again
and i wish you and your entire family a merry christmas and a happy new year for 2017
best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,

Hi Alan.

My name is Mark Samuel Gaskin and it's great to hear some history on my Grandfather , I never did know much about him, I am one of four sons descending from Anthony Gaskin who was Colin's Brother. My dad was a toolmaker at Ford and we moved to South Africa in 1983 where I still live. My dad passed away 4 years ago , and if memory serves me right Colin passed away in 2004. Colin has a son called Richard , who coincidentally visited me in Port Elizabeth South Africa last week. He lives in Poland and works as CEO of General Electric Poland.

Colin has a living brother Graham who still lives in Birmingham , I will try to get you his phone number.

I have sent a copy of your post to Colin's son Richard and will endeavor to put the 2 of you in touch as I am sure he will be able to share many memories.

All the best and chat soon

Mark
Hi Mark i was born and bred in Aston [Clifton Rd] and Tony your dad was my best mate along with Kenny Cottier i am sorry to hear he has passed away , we always played football in Aston Park i loved chipping the ball onto Tony's head for a goal good times. We would go to the Crown and Cushion Perry Barr on a Friday night and drop a membership card out of the first floor window to one of us waiting below to beat the bouncer on the door it had to be done . Then when we started going up town we were probably 17 years old he met your mom and that was it he was hooked then i think he moved to St Helens and i did'nt see him again , i think i spoke on the computer a couple of times . I am so sorry Mark we had lots of good times in Aston and a couple of holidays with our mates in Porthcawl and Paignton. Your nan and grandad were great proper Brummies Sorry again Mark if you need to know more contact me on this site . PS Your dad and his parents moved from Aston to Bracken Road Erdington in about 1968 thats when the Expressway was built and wrecked Aston . Raz X

Hi Mark i was born and bred in Aston [Clifton Rd] and Tony your dad was my best mate along with Kenny Cottier i am sorry to hear he has passed away , we always played football in Aston Park i loved chipping the ball onto Tony's head for a goal good times. We would go to the Crown and Cushion Perry Barr on a Friday night and drop a membership card out of the first floor window to one of us waiting below to beat the bouncer on the door it had to be done . Then when we started going up town we were probably 17 years old he met your mom and that was it he was hooked then i think he moved to St Helens and i did'nt see him again , i think i spoke on the computer a couple of times . I am so sorry Mark we had lots of good times in Aston and a couple of holidays with our mates in Porthcawl and Paignton. Your nan and grandad were great proper Brummies Sorry again Mark if you need to know more contact me on this site . PS Your dad and his parents moved from Aston to Bracken Road Erdington in about 1968 thats when the Expressway was built and wrecked Aston . Raz X
Hi Mark its me again just remembered the Gaskin family i think lived in Upper Sutton Street Aston before they moved to Bracken Road Erdington. We use to go to the Delta Club Holly Lane and played snooker , table tennis darts etc it was good then we would run down to the Norton Pub for the last couple of pints their would be your dad myself my other good mate Colin Hunt [rip] and another good friend Clive Parry [rip] + Kenny . Your auntie Pamela had a bit of a crush on me but she was a bit too young at the time. We also went the Forget Me Not club with your nan and grandad a few times on the weekend that was good, we had good times its a pity your dad went to live in SA still he made good life for himself and his family . It sounded like your mom use to call the shots . All the best Mark Raz x

Last edited:
Back