• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gaskell Radio and TV

bigjohnuk

knowlegable brummie
Hi

I am looking for any old pictures of Strafford Road, Sparkhill which may include Gaskell Radio and TV business. The business was founded by my Grandfather around the 1930's closed up 1960.

Cheers

John

i think they was between the rail way bridge on stratford rd and the black horse pub
and afew doors from the old family og garretts the second dealers they had a row of shops just after your grand fathers bussiness if i am corrrectly thinking he would have know the oriniginale senior mr garratt owner of there garratts empire you name it they had prices was extortionate thou ; i soldhim a few things when i was growing up
never got much them thou times was hard but thats the way life is today dog bites dog ;

What was the first name of Garratt? was it something like Clawed and did he have two good drinking friends Ray and George?

If you come across any pictures, that would be great. My Grand father died in 1961 and my Step Grand Mother sold the lot and put my father out of work. Sad as I am sure it could have still been somthing in the later years.

hi john
to be quite honest i cannot recall at the moment the first names and they all drank in the
the big house called the queen victoria along the stratford rd on the oppersite side of the rd
and the rose taveren around the corner at wek ends in the lounge which was comfy and the enteraiment when john cole owned it and tommy doyle and his wife breeda ran and tommy curly was the singer
there occasionionaly pop across to Mcveighs by the bridge along the rd
on the subject i know there was some pics on here about four years some -one as got one along that section
of there bussiness but sadly as you have probaly read out great sight was shanghied and out pics was all taken;
but please be patence and some one will come up with some think i am sure astonian

Cheers. Look forward to anyone any pictures of his area, or any old bits that may have the Gaskell Radio TV logo on it. I also know that my grandfather of Gaskell Radio TV was the first man in Birmingham to offer rental TV's to the public. They also convertied an number of Gas lit house to Electric.

Cheers. Look forward to anyone any pictures of his area, or any old bits that may have the Gaskell Radio TV logo on it. I also know that my grandfather of Gaskell Radio TV was the first man in Birmingham to offer rental TV's to the public. They also convertied an number of Gas lit house to Electric.
I have the address now. The Address seen in the Will is 164 Strafford Road. If Anyone has any old pictures of this area from the 50s it would be great.

Looks like the buildings are still there. Gaskells were at Nos. 158, 164 & 166 in Kelly's 1955.

Attachments

• 164stratford-rd-map.jpg
    164stratford-rd-map.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 164-stratford-rd.jpg
    164-stratford-rd.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 5
Yes, I did look it up on Google Streets myself. Looks to be a Cafe now.

Anyone with a picture of that part of the street during the 50s would be very welcome. Hoping for Gaskell Radio & TV above the door.

Back