• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gaskell and Chambers

Thanks, that's a weight off my mind. I always thought it was going to be the beer that got me in the end, not lead poisoning!

Hi, sorry Nostromo if my comments worried you. The so called lead scare in America was just that but the effect was disastrous to some small firms in Birmingham. We used to make (spin) quite a few but some firms it was there bread and butter. At that time besides pewter tankards a lot of small brumie firms where manufacturing copper goblets by the thousands that where then silver plated and where exported to the states. A lot of this market dried up when new silver plating methods came in.These small firms where the unsung heroes. They helped with the balance of payments as it was called but never got any credit.
Barry

No problem, Baz. Incidentally, I've heard that Gaskell and Chambers converted to the production of armaments during one or both of the World Wars. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

I have had one of these in my possession for a few years and am now attempting to get it working from a pile of bits. It seems to be a very high quality piece of engineering, brass pistons and cylinder etc. A local publican (in Australia) wants me to get it working and install it in his pub. Does anyone have any information and tips about installation? A photo would certainly help!

"Britain's Biggest Barfitters!" Probably no empty claim either, their vans were all over the country. I got to drive one occasionally in the 50's, a Morris 8, delivering orders to pubs around the North West during school/college holidays. Royston Chambers was at the helm in those days and his two sons John and Martin were somewhere in the equation as well as other family members.

Both my great grandfather and grandfather were pewterers, first in London then Birmingham, the latter, if not both, with James Yates. My dad, Clem, joined G&C as an office boy in 1910 and, WW1 service apart, remained until his retirement in 1960, managing the Manchester branch for many years and ending up on the board of directors. Somewhere amongst old family papers I'm sure there's a letter or two from old Sir Cornelius to Dad - very formal.

My son has charge of the few remaining pewter pieces of my childhood home - a matching set of four (I think), gill to quart, plus a more plain, one-off pint tankard which is inscribed "Made by my father" on the base. One downside - we never had two matching glasses in the house, just a cupboard full of odd samples.

Brian

Wonderful account of your memories Brian. Welcome and as Mike says more please.

Hello
has anybody got any Catalogues from before 1946 I can copy or buy?
I am researching the pewter trade in Birmingham
Has any body seen the following trade mark ? possC then ystra with a W under, its on a victorian Gill measure
thanks
glyn

I worked for Gaskell and Chambers in the early 50`s as a bar fitter, i.e. travelling the country fitting out pubs and hotels etc. It was o.k for awhile but I got fed up with being away from home all the time, it did enable me to save for a deposit on a new house though, the overtime and expenses were very good compared to other Companys. The joinery factory was in A.B. Row the follow on to Ashted Row going towards the City.

Geff

Hi Jeff i remember this building i often walked past it on the way to town i always thought it was in Coleshill St almost opposite the Gaiety Cinema which was on the corner of Gem St. Dek

hi len ;
i read your thread wth great intrest and if i may just add
i beleive they was bombed when you said in that year was around the 1914 years which is correct
and there huge company building was in new cannal street when it got bombed completely
and it stayed delected for near on forty years along new cannal street opersite my grand fathers
coffee shop where my mother was born with my grand parents
and to my knowledge it was never been rebuilt nor windows ever put back in until
latifs the wholesalers moved in and rebuilt it today other wise i would it may have been demolished
and i can remember her telling me the storysof new cannal street in her growing up years
best wishes Astonian ;;

You are correct Dek, It was in Coleshill St, it was 57 years ago when I left the firm, and it is 54 years since I left Brum, I am now 84 so I should be allowed a few mistakes . Cheers Geff

Geff,
My late father in law was a bar fitter at G & C . He was with them for a number of years and left when the firm closed down. Jack Wake was his name? Will.

I left school at 14 in 1948 started at Gaskel and Chambers i i worked there for about 12 months but the horse hair used in the upholstery was to much and had to give it up

During the late 60's I served my joinery apprenticeship at A Edmonds on Constitution Hill. Being a strict Methodist Mr Edmonds would not take on bar work and passed this on to Gaskell & Chambers, but I believe Edmonds did some of the joinery work.

Hi Nostromo I worked at Gaskell & Chambers and they were bar fitters optics etc,this was in the fifties.

Jemina

Have just read your thread... I too have a pewter tankard with Gaskell and Chambers on the base..mine is Half Pink. I have a larger version with a pouring lip on it but this is not stamped. I assume they came from the pub that my family had in Aston. Georgie

Hi Brian,
My uncle, Howard Hopkins was a pewterer for Gaskell and Chambers up until his retirement in the 70`s. Do you ( or anyone else for that matter) have any working memories of him?
I remember seeing photographs of him from the 1960`s with Mr. Chambers at a trade expo in Dallas, Texas.
As per normal, I left things too late to ask him much about his work but would like to know more. Can anyone enlighten me further?

Trevor.

I have had one of these in my possession for a few years and am now attempting to get it working from a pile of bits. It seems to be a very high quality piece of engineering, brass pistons and cylinder etc. A local publican (in Australia) wants me to get it working and install it in his pub. Does anyone have any information and tips about installation? A photo would certainly help!

Hi there - bit late perhaps but here's some Gaskell & Chambers "Dalex" items on my Flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/sets/72157623766401644/with/4639598609/

Regards

Mikey

Hi, I have a Gaskell and Chambers pewter pint tankard with a 1953 coronation emblem on the front. inside is an x with a triangle beneath. Underneath it is stamped Gaskell and Chambers Ltd Birmingham Made in England with a Crown stamp with an x underneath. At the top it is stamped 3 with 53 underneath with a Crown picture next to the 3 with ERunderneath then a 6 underneath that, then the word PINT underneath.I would like to know how many of these tankards were made for the coronation or whether in fact the coronation badges were added to some older surplus stock that the factory may have already had as on the other side it is stamped with a crown picture with the name of James Yates underneath.Any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

Back