• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gaskell and Chambers

You are correct Dek, It was in Coleshill St, it was 57 years ago when I left the firm, and it is 54 years since I left Brum, I am now 84 so I should be allowed a few mistakes . Cheers Geff

Geff,
My late father in law was a bar fitter at G & C . He was with them for a number of years and left when the firm closed down. Jack Wake was his name? Will.

I left school at 14 in 1948 started at Gaskel and Chambers i i worked there for about 12 months but the horse hair used in the upholstery was to much and had to give it up

During the late 60's I served my joinery apprenticeship at A Edmonds on Constitution Hill. Being a strict Methodist Mr Edmonds would not take on bar work and passed this on to Gaskell & Chambers, but I believe Edmonds did some of the joinery work.

Hi Nostromo I worked at Gaskell & Chambers and they were bar fitters optics etc,this was in the fifties.

Jemina

Have just read your thread... I too have a pewter tankard with Gaskell and Chambers on the base..mine is Half Pink. I have a larger version with a pouring lip on it but this is not stamped. I assume they came from the pub that my family had in Aston. Georgie

Hi Brian,
My uncle, Howard Hopkins was a pewterer for Gaskell and Chambers up until his retirement in the 70`s. Do you ( or anyone else for that matter) have any working memories of him?
I remember seeing photographs of him from the 1960`s with Mr. Chambers at a trade expo in Dallas, Texas.
As per normal, I left things too late to ask him much about his work but would like to know more. Can anyone enlighten me further?

Trevor.

I have had one of these in my possession for a few years and am now attempting to get it working from a pile of bits. It seems to be a very high quality piece of engineering, brass pistons and cylinder etc. A local publican (in Australia) wants me to get it working and install it in his pub. Does anyone have any information and tips about installation? A photo would certainly help!

Hi there - bit late perhaps but here's some Gaskell & Chambers "Dalex" items on my Flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/sets/72157623766401644/with/4639598609/

Regards

Mikey

Hi, I have a Gaskell and Chambers pewter pint tankard with a 1953 coronation emblem on the front. inside is an x with a triangle beneath. Underneath it is stamped Gaskell and Chambers Ltd Birmingham Made in England with a Crown stamp with an x underneath. At the top it is stamped 3 with 53 underneath with a Crown picture next to the 3 with ERunderneath then a 6 underneath that, then the word PINT underneath.I would like to know how many of these tankards were made for the coronation or whether in fact the coronation badges were added to some older surplus stock that the factory may have already had as on the other side it is stamped with a crown picture with the name of James Yates underneath.Any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

James Yates' working dates are c1860-81 (reign of Victoria), and his workshop was at 39-40 Coleshill Street, Birmingham
Gaskell & Chambers of Birmingham and London, pewterers and barfitters took over the James Yates business around 1900, a business which had begun making pewter when James' father John Yates worked in Birmingham (central England) in the 1820s.
The marks believed to be associated with the Yates are numbers over a Crowned ‘X’ and those associated with Gaskell and Chambers consist of an ‘X’ with a triangle below containing a letter ‘Y’ and a geometric form.
You may find this article interesting?
www.pewterbank.com/James_Yates_-_revised_article.pdf -

i started at Gaskel and Chambers when i left school at 14 in 1946 i was in the upholstery shop and i was there for about 12 months as the horse hair affected my health Allen

I have aI/2&A 1gill pewter for spirirs, markings. diamond a triangle then X. a y inside of diamond.
Any know what thy mean.

hy, i remember gaskell & chambers very well in the 1950,s they had big display windows in colesill st oppersite the picture house, they used to
display wooden feathered birds of many diffrent colours that dipped there heads in a glass of water which caused them to move all the time.
as if they was drinking the water, i allso remeber seeing abbott & costello there, i suppose they where doing the rounds, terry

HI
I Think guys you will find they was in new cannal streeet and on the corner of bordesley street
it was a huge factory and this was before the war and it laid empty for decades right through the years
and you say it was bombed my grand parents had there transport coffee shop facing it and my mother was brought up there there shop was number 1 new cannal st and next to the hide and skins yard where they came down from the bull ring to be slaughtered they moved to constitution hill many years long beforeor just after the war finished and remained there there old orinional is now the as ware housing or its the other name which i just cannot reall at the moment have a great day guys alan astonian

Hi All
Gaskell and Chambers had a large Factory in Coleshill Street almost facing the Gaiety Cinema, i was on the crew that did the Demolition in around 1963/64 it was carried out by Acocks Green Demolition Co (AGD).
Walt.

I have aI/2&A 1gill pewter for spirirs, markings. diamond a triangle then X. a y inside of diamond.
Any know what thy mean.

My Uncle was the Master Pewterer at G & C from 1935 until 1970. I am not sure what the marks are, but one of them will be his mark,

I recently purchased a rather nice antique 1 pint pewter tankard, on the bottom of which is stamped Gaskell and Chambers Ltd. Birmingham. Would anyone happen to know where Gaskell and Chambers was situated and/or anything about the history of the manufactory?

Gaskell & Chambers were in Coleshill Street, Dale End. My Uncle was the Master Pewterer there for 35 years.

My late father in law was employed by Gaskell and Chambers as a bar fitter. Clearing out some of his tools came across this lapel pin that I can only assume came from that company. Does anyone know what it signifies please? The numbers shown are 20/30 Will.

GaskellandChamberslapelbadge.jpg

My Grandfather worked for Gaskell & Chambers in Liverpool from the age of 14 until he retired aged 72 in 1956. I believe he travelled around connecting the pipework from the bar to the cellar in pubs around the area and into N.Wales.
Does anyone know anything about Gaskell & Chambers in Bold St, Liverpool and are there likely to be any records surviving anywhere?

I might be able to throw some light on G & C in the 50's - I still have a letter dated 6th December 1955, signed by Martin Chambers, offering me a job as cost clerk at £8.0s.0d per week. I started work at Dalex Works, Coleshill St. One of the clerks in this very old office (heated by a central stove) had a skull on his filing cabinet. Apparently a bomb had dropped in the adjacent cemetary during the blitz and the skull had landed in the cost office. In 1956 (?) we relocated to their new premises in Dale End.

I still have a couple of G & C catalogues from 1954 and 1956.

Gaskell & Chambers were indeed located in Coleshill St up to the 60's at least. When walking into town as a youngster I always crossed the road after seeing the photos of the forthcoming attractions at the Gaiety Cinema. I crossed over to see the marvellous perpetual motion drinking stork that was on display in the window for years as it never failed to amaze me.

In these two photos the G & C building is just by the first tram and the second photo is of the building itself.

Attachments

• Coleshill St.jpg
    Coleshill St.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Gatskill & Chambers Coleshill St.JPG
    Gatskill & Chambers Coleshill St.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 46
From John Ball's recently-discovered website, this photo shows Gaskell and Chambers in relation to the ABC Coleshill Street and the Indian restaurant on the corner

11.jpg

Hi! Wally my stepfather worked at the Dale End G & C until the late 60's. in the degreasing shop I think... His name was William Neal (Bill or Billy) he was known as

From John Ball's recently-discovered website, this photo shows Gaskell and Chambers in relation to the ABC Coleshill Street and the Indian restaurant on the corner

11.jpg

My Grandfather finished his working days there and lived just behind the Gaiety (ABC) in this shot. I wish i had a time machine so i could walk up this street.

In the late 50's i worked at a motor factors " Mota Supplies " in Prospect Row, Birmingham 4. Gaskell and Chambers had a large showroom on the other side of the road a little nearer to the city, i believe that Prospect Row continued as Coleshill Street.

This picture was taken at the junction of Stafford Street, Coleshill Street, James Watt Street and Dale End. Just past Coleshill Street Garage ( Shell ) which can be seen on the left there was a chip shop, and opposite it was Leek Street, where my uncle had a washing machine repair business.

Dad (Howard Sanbrook but known for some reason a "Mac) worked at Gaskell and Chambers in Dale End for a while (1960's?) - he was a cabinet maker by trade so would have worked on bar tops and the like. I remember that he left when they relocated out of town, He went to Lewis's as Foreman Carpenter and was there until he retired.

One of his comments from round about then was that the only other work of that quality that he was capable of doing was coffin making - and that definitely was something he never wanted to do!

Sandy

Hi all,

Recently found this forum while looking for some info on a company that made a pub stool that was my Fathers.

The stool in question is from Gaskell and Chambers Dale End Works Birmingham

Dad Claimed that this stool was very old, but I am unable to find anything about this particular one.

Would love to know a bit about this style of stool, any info would be appreciated.

Long shot I know but thanks for any help

Dolly

DSC04759.JPG

Back