• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gas Street Preservation Society

PhilBCN

I came across a reference to a Radio Birmingham broadcast, entitled 'Locks, Pounds and Paddles' by the Gas Street Preservation Society in the Daily Post, 29th January, 1976. Does anyone have any further information about the Society, presumably set up to oppose the developments then on going at Gas Street?

Birmingham Archives Catalog here:- http://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/Advanced.aspx currently holds references to only 20% of their Archives. It doesn't find "Gas, Street Preservation Society", but has over 200 pages of items if you insert "Gas Street", and 27 pages if you insert "Preservation Society". It is likely that it is still in the 80% waiting to be catalogued, in which case you should email [email protected] otherwise contact Birmingham Planning Department , who must have had some contact with this organisation in the past. During the pandemic, of course, you may have a long wait for a reply!

Maurice :)

And , after the decimation of the archive staff before the pandemic, a very long wait from them

No doubt, Mike, but I did warn him. :) But not as bad as Bournemouth Courts when I tried to obtain a copy of divorce papers for my daughter - they arrived over two years later after she had passed away - and that was before the pandemic.

Maurice :cool:

Phil,

There was if I recall a plan in 1976 mentioned in contemporary waterways magazines to preserve the former carriers warehouses in Worcester Wharf, which were demolished later. So the preservation was for the Worcester & Birmingham side and not on the BCN side.

Those warehouses were demolished and the waste land created eventually led to the new builds there over time culminating with that large, light blocking structure, the Cube.

What has survived on the BCN side are the Worcester Bar Toll House, and the group of cottages and the warehouse that are on the towpath from the Bar to Broad Street Bridge.

Back