• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gas Holders in Birmingham

thanks i do remember the red vans with a flame on the side in duddeston rd depot
I have a load of pictures of Duddeston WMGB garage and associated sites , they must be in the loft someplace, I will get up there and sort them out and get them on the site

thanks. the red vans went to the auction for sale if i remember right. in the 60s there was one parked in trever st nechells. with the window open, and we pressed the radio mike and kept saying allo to the the conrol room good job there was no gps back then:grinning:

thanks. the red vans went to the auction for sale if i remember right. in the 60s there was one parked in trever st nechells. with the window open, and we pressed the radio mike and kept saying allo to the the conrol room good job there was no gps back then:grinning:
Some of the RC room staff were not known for their patience or understanding , I would not be surprised if they gave you and your mates a very direct response to you.

The WMGB Showroom Dale End, in those days you could pay your gas bill, by a gas appliance and have it put on your bill via HP, book a service, buy gas stamps to pay your bill with all in one shop
The left picture (within the picture) shows the old gas department in Edmund Street when the gas undertaking was the responsibility of the City of Birmingham.

Attachments

• 06876BF6-10A4-4529-B4F3-F1541763D14F.jpeg
    06876BF6-10A4-4529-B4F3-F1541763D14F.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 17
An article on today's BBC website...
Yes, the colours were always a little controversial on the Windsor St site, as a majority of the operational staff on site where more Small Heath aligned and had a name(s) for the area and their respective colours of the holders; some very funny names but none that are printable

Attached, is a rare picture/hand-drawn sketch of Windsor Street gas works.
The date is unknown but shows the old retort houses and railway to feed the retorts, coal gas production, and tar collection.
This illustrates coal-to-town gas production in Birmingham in the past and the materials, resources required

Source: unknown, but my sincere thanks to an old work colleague from the WMGB days for sharing this with me and allowing me to upload it.

Please note I have had to crop / compress the file to upload, I hope the clarity of the picture is satisfactory

Attachments

• B8BE82A6-FE87-4127-9518-EE043BA78C77.jpeg
    B8BE82A6-FE87-4127-9518-EE043BA78C77.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 24
Covroad, I think I painted these holders some years ago. Eric
Hello cookie273uk,
If I am correct , your painting shows Nechells / Saltley gas yard looking from the Albion Vaults perspective (Cato Street) . Which evokes my memories of Birmingham of my time as a child, sadly gone for ever now.

Attached, a picture of the queue for coke at Windsor Street gas works in the 1940’s, all the proms and pushchairs to get the much prized coke home.

Source : unknown, part of a small collection of pictures / sketches I have been given access by an old works colleague from WMGB, again my thanks to him.

Attachments

• 5A14552B-E22A-48FC-9B62-07784F7FE6B8.jpeg
    5A14552B-E22A-48FC-9B62-07784F7FE6B8.jpeg
    793.9 KB · Views: 12
And many think they are hard done by these days. Don't know the meaning of hardship
Johnny082
you are so right , my memories of the late 50’s / early 60’s on a Thursday having toast made from stale bread for tea , but on a Friday when my Father came home from working away all week we had fish and chips.
I tell my grandchildren of my upbringing in Small Heath in a house with no central heating, outside toilet , etc.

Lyn
That is not quite correct. See https://www.dezeen.com/2018/02/22/w...ert-kings-cross-gasholders-into-luxury-flats/ . I think they look rather good.
Following on from this, there was a program on channel 5 called "Engineering Reborn" on 29th April where I learnt thta in fact the gas holders had already been taken down and were in bits on the site. They were reconstructed like a jigsaw for the purposes of the design. The program also describes the reuse of the adjoining coal yard. Wish Birmingham could be so willing to keep their heritage. I gather the program is available on 5 Select (though I had recorded it). the gasometer bit is in the central part

Up until at least 1995 there was a gasometer, perhaps two, on Booth Street in Smethwick. I worked in a building that stood next door. It was always in the empty position and, thrill seeker that I am, I once walked across it’s faded grey, domed top.

IMG_2212.jpeg

“Normally a DMU working, the 09.03 Cambridge-Birmingham New Street produced Class 31 No 31.270 and four coaches as it passed Washwood Heath gas works on 25 September 1982. Geoff Dowling.”

West Midlands rails in the 1980s by Glover, John, Publication date 1984.

Back