• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

gas board transport chester st

philbee

birmingham born and bred
afternoon all
just reading through the pages came across this page ,when i finished my training in the motor trade ie motor mechanic i moved to the the gas boards transport dept in chester street where they carried out mot preps and major repairs to their fleet it was quite daunting coming from a small environment to a big garage but i soon settled in with the help of a certain BRENNAN YOULDEN who is on this site big bren showed me the ropes and especially were to pick up my wages we had to cross a bridge over the cut to lord st and collect wages from the gate house we used to drink in the avenue pub on pay days i was only there a few months then we moved to a new transport garage in duddeston mill road where i stayed until 1972 going onto pastures new and to get married i went back in 1978 and stayed there untill all the garages were closed in 1996 so made redundant, we had some good times and i worked with some memorable characters especially big bren ! i wonder if there are any pictures of chester st cant see any on the search
phil

Back