• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

gas board transport chester st

philbee

birmingham born and bred
afternoon all
just reading through the pages came across this page ,when i finished my training in the motor trade ie motor mechanic i moved to the the gas boards transport dept in chester street where they carried out mot preps and major repairs to their fleet it was quite daunting coming from a small environment to a big garage but i soon settled in with the help of a certain BRENNAN YOULDEN who is on this site big bren showed me the ropes and especially were to pick up my wages we had to cross a bridge over the cut to lord st and collect wages from the gate house we used to drink in the avenue pub on pay days i was only there a few months then we moved to a new transport garage in duddeston mill road where i stayed until 1972 going onto pastures new and to get married i went back in 1978 and stayed there untill all the garages were closed in 1996 so made redundant, we had some good times and i worked with some memorable characters especially big bren ! i wonder if there are any pictures of chester st cant see any on the search
phil

Back