• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Books: about Winson Green area by Gary Smith

celia

master brummie
i would like to recomend to lovely books
some of you may have read them most if not all of you have come across them
they are
WINSON GREEN MY WORLD
A WALK UP THE GREEN
both are by gary smith

both these wonderfull books are a must for those who lived on the green
i myself is from the green and it bought back some lovely memorys of the places we used to place and the houses and other buikding i rememberand ive also learnt some history along the way from before i was born

also is there anybody on the forum who might know how i can go about contacting Gary smith
as i would like to write to him

celia xxxxx

Hi Celia. They sound like a good read. To ontact the author, it might work if you wrote to the publishers of the books and ask them if they could put you in touch with him.

Barrie.

they are fab reads barrie not very big books took me about to house to read them inbetween doing other thing lol
but worth it
thanks for the tip i will see if the publishers have an email address if not it will have to be snail mail lol
celia

Hiya Celia ..a few years ago Gary was on the radio W.M ..i got in touch with them and asked if they would give him my phone number ..they did and Gary invited me and Tom over ..he is a lovely man and we bought the books at his home ..he signed them over a cuppa and made us really welcome ..just a thought if you contact WM they may still be able to pass your details on to him

hi maggie
thankyou for your reply
i did as barrie surgested and have been on brewin books wonderfull website by the way far too many books to choose from
anyways i found a email address and have emailed them in the hope that they will reply
if they dont then i shall contact radio W.M and see if they can help

thankyiu for our surgestion

celia xxxxxxx

quick update on contacting gary smith
brewin books replied to my email and said
that i can write to gary smith and post it to them and they will pass it on to him result lol
so i shall be putting pen to paper this weekend
thanx for everybodys help

celia xxx

I have posted you the address you need
Gary as three Books
A trip down the Flat
Winson Green my World
A walk up the Green

I'm brand new to this forum and quite new to any kind of detailed look at Brummy history. I found Gary's books in my Mum's collection and found them really great to read alongside an historic map https://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/ . I am simply staggered by the breadth and scope of the wholesale 'rearrangement' of central B'ham. So much so it's really hard to reconcile a current day map with what Gary writes about. I've found so far that pretty much every building that my parents and their parents etc knew is long gone. Perhaps the HP Sauce site being the latest. My Dad worked there...

Back