• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Garry House School and Fountain Road

anna60

knowlegable brummie
Did anyone out there go to Garry House School in Fountain Road? or did anyone live in Fountain Road?

HI ANNA
I can recall the school it was abit of a posh school in fountan rd but i also can recal#l the the bail hostel for girls around the corner for girls on portland rd just around the corner
and it was also a probation homesfor girls whom had to be in the hostel by 8 oclock
and if my memory serves me correct tyra wilcoxs lived aboput 200 yards away from this hostel it was a very nice house way back in the very late fifties to early sixties when she was young and just started to break into the pop music scene astonian

This reply comes a bit late but my mother, Patricia Price, went to Garry House in 1939 and would love to hear from anyone who was there at the time.

I went to Garry House and lived nearby in Fountain Rd. There was a Miss Rosher involved who lived on the corner of Carisbrooke/Fountain Roads. This would be about 1956-1960.

Later I went to a funny little prep school called Chigwell House (I think). My father never had any money so probably dodged on fees. I was tolerated because I was "clever" and eventually got into King Edwards School. Funnily enough I went back to KES a few weeks ago, after an absence of 52.5 years. In Covid times of course I could only look from outside.

I went to Garry House 1961 - 1964
Head mistress was Miss Holby.
A strange school. I remember naughty children having to stand in a wardrobe .... and big investigation about someone ripping the wallpaper on the toilet wall !!!

Back