• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Vendetta / Garrison Lane

J

johnowhetton

Hello,
I am trying to find out information on the Garrison Vendetta. There is a chance that one of my family members was part of one of the gangs that were arrested and imprisoned. All i know at the moment is that the Garrison Vendetta happened around 1900 in Garrison Lane / High Street, Deritend Birmingham and basically it was 2 rival gangs that were shooting at each other. I believe the territory stretched from a pub called the Crown pub to another pub but unsure for definate. I would really appreciate any information that anyone could supply to me as it would be a big big help.
Thanks

John

As a kid I grew up in the area, and heard several stories of the so called " gunfight at the Sailors Return" but I have never been able to substantiate this.
Good luck with your research and please keep us informed.

When we moved to Small Heath in 1928, the Kirby gang were based around the Garrison Lane area and tales of stabbings and fighting were rife. Could the Kirby family have been involved in the earlier goings-on as mentioned?

many years ago i wotked with a man alot older than me and he was writing a book about the " Garrison Lane Vendetta " his name is was Jimmie Burcket i don't know whether he finished and published the book but he would have known everything about it.

Hi, thanks for all of your responses. It has been mentioned to me that the Kirby family were involved, how true this is i dont know. is there any way of maybe trying to find this man who knows about the vendetta Jimmy Burcket? ive searched on the internet for a book by him but get nothing come up in the search

Thanks
John

i am talking 1970 and he would have been in his late fifties then and i have forgotten ware he lived.

Anyone have any information on the Garrison Vendetta???? Please help???

Fred Kirby worked in the stores at BSA Tools, Kitts Green, he lived by the Glebe pub, every one got on ok with him until one day he went into a rage throwing chairs etc about and was sacked, the Kirby family ancestors lived in Summer Lane and had a bad reputation, whether they were involved in Garrison Lane i don`t know. Fed Kirby two sons were convicted of the murder of a Handsworth householder while commiting a burglary, circa 1950`s/60`s they were released after about 7 years because they saved a Warders life in Winson Green prison. Len.

John, the newspapers would have been full of the story. The papes are all in the Central Library, in the record office. The staff are very knowledgable about events such as the vendetta, so talk to them and I am sure they will tell you which papers you need to search. They are not difficult to search, they are all on micro film. Good luck, we would all love to hear what you find.:)

isan't their someone on the forum that goes to the Library and said if we wanted anything looking at to ask him and he would have a look.

A look up is not too difficult, but to search newspapers can be quite time consuming. Mind you its great fun and very interesting.

Oh, if anyone does go to the library and could maybe spare a little time to have a look for any information on the Garrison Lane Vendetta i would really appreciate it. I live in norfolk so its not too easy for me to get down to birmingham. The member of my family that i think could be involved in the garrison vendetta is Joseph Stafford (middle name earp?) Born 1879 in South Kilworth, Lutterworth, Leicestershire, the family then moved to birmingham. He was in prison as shown in the 1901 census. Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you to everyone for all there comments / help and info so far

Many Thanks
John

Wn
As a kid I grew up in the area, and heard several stories of the so called " gunfight at the Sailors Return" but I have never been able to substantiate this.
Good luck with your research and please keep us informed.
I grew up in 57 Wilton street 1939 to 1958 . The pub on the corner of Wilton street was the sailors return and not the garrison which was situated on the junction lower Dartmouth st and watery lane,which about where the garrison circle is,just 50yards away in watery was the chain p.h.our has in Wilton street is still there. The Acorn on the corner of barwell rd was opposite a green grocers owned by the barkers
or crigg families .

Hope this info helps .

Ggdavis,

I'm afraid the Garrison Tavern was and still is on the corner of Wilton Street and the Sailors Return was between Barr Street and Watery Lane.

Attachments

• Small Heath The Sailors Return Watery Lane 1953 .jpg
    Small Heath The Sailors Return Watery Lane 1953 .jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Small Heath Garrison Lane The Garrison Tavern.jpg
    Small Heath Garrison Lane The Garrison Tavern.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 71
Yes brumgun it is Witton St, I've never known my Wilton from my Witton, thanks.

I think the Chain pub became the Horse and Groom and my grandad ran it....William Thursfield

Just a quick note to say the green grocers on the corner of Barwell Road was owned by Nora and Fred Barker. Nora's maiden name was Cridge and a number of the Cridge brothers who worked down the wholesale markets run the grocers after Fred and Nora retired.

Back