• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Garrison Lane

fergie

master brummie
Looking for a friend either the names Bryan, Jays, Brewin family that lived in Garrison lane. Lydia married 3 times so hence diiferent names.

I have Ruby Ellen brewin born 1923 7 back of 72 Garrison Lane is that any help? Lydia Ellen Brewin was her mother but as I mentioned before this was her 3rd Marriage I wasn't sure if this was the family home since both previous husbands surnames Bryan and Jays had died.

Hi This is the first time I have heard mention of Garrison Lane. ........so while we are talking about it does anyone have any knowledge of a family called Collins who lived on Garrison Lane. The father was Edward Collins (a carpenter) and the daughter was Elizabeth Collins - born 1859.

This Elizabeth married Charles Homer - also down as living in Garrison Lane - in 1882. .....and many years down the line was me !-

hello

i see you are researching the chinn family, i have an emma chinn who married thomas collins, are these related to you ? unfortunatley i dont know who emmas parents were

regards susen

Yes Sherry1, i started work at the Post Office Engineering factory, Garrison Lane in 1943, aged 14 yrs, no photos. Len.

Can u tell me more.

How many workers worked there , did you have any friends and what type of work did they do at this factory.

I too would love to know more about Garrison Lane as my Grandad (John Chamberlain) used to live there way back in 1901 when he was 17.

sherry 1, We did all kinds of engineering work, press work, lathe work, milling, assembly work, the men worked on electric fittings, i was 14yrs old at the time, friends i remember Bill Lees, Ron Green, Jimmy Lewis, Des Dyer, Walter Scandrett, ? Kimberley, 2008 we found out we were making parts for Colossus the computer which deciphered the German Enigma Code machine. Len,

Last edited:
I will search my records as my Fathers family lived for a time in Garrison Lane and Garrison Street . His father was Thomas Jeys (sometimes spelt Jays) His mother was Emma Moon and they lived in that area from the beginning of 1900 until after 1929 when my Father married my Mother (Doris Molesworth) who also lived in that area. My Grandmother had a shop on the corner of Garrison Street and Wolseley Street.

I have found a relative of my dads (I think!) who lived at 284 Garrison Lane in the 1901 census and whose wife was listed as a shopkeeper - their name was Payne - does anyone have any more info?

Are you sure of the number. I looked at the 1901 census and it went nos 276, 288 (unoccupied), 290, with no Paynes on those pages (at least in ancestry)

oops, slip of key, should have read 294, not 284! Have got ancestry, so found them on that, all details fit, but would love to know what type of shop etc and if anyone knows what happened to the family. Interestingly, no 292 has the wife listed as shopkeeper general, working from home, so could have been a shared shop I guess?
Sue

i worked at lawtons garrison lane in the fortys, it was the top end of garrison lane. It was a engineering firm,it also did zinc plating. phil carr.

i worked at lawtons garrison lane in the fortys, it was the top end of garrison lane. It was a engineering firm,it also did zinc plating. phil carr.

Does anyone know of/ remember George Twittey & his family ? They lived at 276 Garrison Lane & he was a grocer & my gt gt grandad.

Laraine

Hi Laraine, yes I remember your G G Grandfathers shop, it was near to Sydney Rd and Venetia Rd. my mate lived in Sydney road, and I think It was that shop were we would go to have a game on the 'one armed bandit' I'm talking about the late forties early fifties time

Nick

There were a couple of men named Moon worked at the Post Office Factory when i started circa 1943, in Garrison Lane. Len.

Does anyone know of/ remember George Twittey & his family ? They lived at 276 Garrison Lane & he was a grocer & my gt gt grandad.

Laraine

Hi Nick
That sounds about right, although i dont know alot about the Twittey side of my family i know that George Twittey had the shop for a number of years, it might have even been passed down the family.

1948 Ithink this shop would have been on th corner of Wolseley st.
Image462.jpg

sherry 1, We did all kinds of engineering work, press work, lathe work, milling, assembly work, the men worked on electric fittings, i was 14yrs old at the time, friends i remember Bill Lees, Ron Green, Jimmy Lewis, Des Dyer, Walter Scandrett, ? Kimberley, 2008 we found out we were making parts for Colossus the computer which deciphered the German Enigma Code machine. Len,

I remember the Scandretts,they lived in Tilton Road.I was at school with their twin boys(Paul and Philip).

Thanks for posting the photo.Way before my time but still evokes a lot of memories fo me.

In the picture in#21 I think the pub on the right side would be the 'Acorn' and the 'tower'showing above the tram would be the Sportsman.

Nick

It is the Acorn and the tram is just about on the bridge going over the canal, the shop on the left (opp. the pub) became a cafe called Rainbows in the 1950s

Garrison Lane 1934, from a postcard I bought from The Birmingham History Fair.

Garrison Lane  Birmingham 1935.jpg

I believe its after a Birmingham City triumphant football win. Lovely paperweight, Nick.

Back