• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Lane Vendetta 1910-12

Stonewall

I am researching the pre-WW1 vendetta the leader of one side of which was Billy Beach who was my father's Uncle - the other side were the Sheldon family and associates. I have read books on the subject (especially Carl Chinn's) and am now writing my own. I am looking for anyone with family connections to either side of the vendetta with stories to tell and any old photographs of the area especially Glover Street, Palmer Street, Great Barr Street, Watery Lane, etc. I am desperate for a photo of William Beach himself (born Witton Street 1880) - I have photos of his brother, father and mother but not him. Any info would be much appreciated

I am researching the pre-WW1 vendetta the leader of one side of which was Billy Beach who was my father's Uncle - the other side were the Sheldon family and associates. I have read books on the subject (especially Carl Chinn's) and am now writing my own. I am looking for anyone with family connections to either side of the vendetta with stories to tell and any old photographs of the area especially Glover Street, Palmer Street, Great Barr Street, Watery Lane, etc. I am desperate for a photo of William Beach himself (born Witton Street 1880) - I have photos of his brother, father and mother but not him. Any info would be much appreciated
I have a photograph of my great grandfather standing outside the hen and chickens with a group of men and the land lord and landlady as well as the drayman circa early 1920s . My family lived in witton st opposite the park From the early 1900s . I Can email to you if you are interested . If you do know anyone else on the photo I would love to know

hi and welcome have you used the search box to look for photo of the locations..i know for certain that some time ago i posted quite a few photos of watery lane

lyn

I have a photograph of my great grandfather standing outside the hen and chickens with a group of men and the land lord and landlady as well as the drayman circa early 1920s . My family lived in witton st opposite the park From the early 1900s . I Can email to you if you are interested . If you do know anyone else on the photo I would love to know
Hi, Thanks for your response. I would love to see the photograph. My father was born at 49 Witton Street in 1910 and my family had a photo of him aged about 4 standing with two park keepers at the Witton Street gates of Garrison Park (unfortunately we can't find it) He often talked about the Hen & Chickens which he passed on his way to St Andrews where he was a ball-boy. My email address is [email protected] Cheers

Carl Chinn did two articles on the subject in the Birmingham Mail on consecutive Saturdays. William Thomas Beach was my great grandfather on my mother’s side. My grandmother being Florence Elizabeth Beach. Florence Elizabeth Beach was grazed by a bullet when she was 10 years old when the Sheldon’s fired through the window. Billy was not best pleased he confronted them although unarmed and beat the s..t out of them with his fists. I do know he was a stocky man whose neck was as wide as his head. I think Janice in Bristol had a photograph of him. The police came to the incident when guns were used but Billy Beach would not press charges I am led to believe.

There appear to be at least 3 different incidents involving William Beach and guns (revolvers). In one he appears to have been badly injured and his attackers seem to have got between 3 and 5 years.

In an article of 1912 he seems to have come of worse again when attacked with a chopper. At the end of the report it suggests he was leaving for Canada.

However, he definitely went to America in 1924, to visit his sister Laura in Detroit.

Last edited:
There appear to be at least 3 different incidents involving William Beach and guns (revolvers). In one he appears to have been badly injured and his attackers seem to have got between 3 and 5 years.

In an article of 1912 he seems to have come of worse again when attacked with a chopper. At the end of the report it suggests he was leaving for Canada.

However, he definitely went to America in 1924, to visit his sister Laura in Detroit.
Sheldon and Colman were sent to prison for attempted murder in 1911. I have a copy of the court case in my genealogy folder. He did go to Canada and joined the Canadian Overseas Volunteer Force In 1914 at the outbreak of WW1. He was 39 at the time and had previously served 6 years in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He went to see Laura in Detroit as you say as we do have a record of him passing through a border into America from Canada. The police did have a collection for him when he went to Canada because they admired the fact he only ever used his fists. Funny his great great grandson our Mark was and still is handy with his fists. He too was known in his younger days not to cause trouble but you brought it to him at your peril.

Last edited:
hi and welcome have you used the search box to look for photo of the locations..i know for certain that some time ago i posted quite a few photos of watery lane

lyn
Hello my great grandfather on my mothers side was the Billy Beach you refer to.
His son Charles Henry Beach was my mothers Dad.
We have photos of Charles Henry and family….but none of his dad Billy.
if anyone has a photo or any ideas where there might be one….please let me know.
Thought the Canadian military might have one as he served in their army in WW1.
Steve B

Hello my great grandfather on my mothers side was the Billy Beach you refer to.
His son Charles Henry Beach was my mothers Dad.
We have photos of Charles Henry and family….but none of his dad Billy.
if anyone has a photo or any ideas where there might be one….please let me know.
Thought the Canadian military might have one as he served in their army in WW1.
Steve B
So who was your mother as my great grandfather was William Thomas Beach. My grandmother being Elizabeth Florence Dale(nee Beach) and my mother Hilda Lines(nee Dale) not one person I have contact with on Genes Reunited has been able to come up with a photograph of Billy. I hoped rogues gallery at the Birmingham Police Museum might have a mug shot but to no avail.

So who was your mother as my great grandfather was William Thomas Beach. My grandmother being Elizabeth Florence Dale(nee Beach) and my mother Hilda Lines(nee Dale) not one person I have contact with on Genes Reunited has been able to come up with a photograph of Billy. I hoped rogues gallery at the Birmingham Police Museum might have a mug shot but to no avail.
Sorry for delay in replying as I don’t go on the forum very often.
My Mothers name was Evelyn May Beach.
Her Father Charles Henry Beach was the son of Billy Beach.
She had Siblings Joyce,Patricia,Charles,Nelly,Jackie and William.
In a quirk of fate the family lived in ‘Sheldon’ in the 1960’s
No photographs of The Billy Beach…. but I was told as a child a male relative who had a metal plate in his head had been deported to Canada.
Probably a distortion of the facts as the story was retold over the years.

Sorry for delay in replying as I don’t go on the forum very often.
My Mothers name was Evelyn May Beach.
Her Father Charles Henry Beach was the son of Billy Beach.
She had Siblings Joyce,Patricia,Charles,Nelly,Jackie and William.
In a quirk of fate the family lived in ‘Sheldon’ in the 1960’s
No photographs of The Billy Beach…. but I was told as a child a male relative who had a metal plate in his head had been deported to Canada.
Probably a distortion of the facts as the story was retold over the years.
hi steve terrance david lines is no longer a member of the forum so will not be able to reply to you

lyn

Back