• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garrison Lane School

TIMO

Brummie babby
Edit. Details of the school from British History Online are:

“GARRISON LANE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL. Garrison Lane Bd. Sch. opened 1873 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 846 B, G, I. Fees 1d–3d. Classrooms accom. 196 added 1878, 1886. Bd. of Ed. demanded improvements, including division of larger rooms, 1912. Altered and reorganized 1921 for JI. Closed 1941. Altered and reopened 1951 for I only. Closed 1959.

Does anybody recognize themselves in this picture.View attachment 44216s

Edit - image reposted in post #13 below. Viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,was garrison lane school aka tilton rd school? lovely photo by the way

Hello, no,Garrison Lane school was facing the park.When it closed down most of the pupils moved on to Tilton Rd. myself included I think it was late 50's.

Hi Timo

A couple of photos of Garrison Lane School for you. Edit- images no longer available. Viv.

Phil

SmallHeathGarrisonLanebyPark.jpg
SmallHeathGarrisonLaneTheGarrisonTavern.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi I went to the garrison lane nursery then Ada road mixed junior school then Tilton road girls school Jennifer Barnes or Janet Sutherland ring a bell ? Acer

Hi Junie I went to Garrison lane infants not for long as someone locked me in the toilets which were outside oh I did cry , then I went to Ada Road, I did love that school did not want to leave,then on to Tilton Rad Girls l then on to work at 15, in 1965. my maiden name BARNES . Nice to hear there are still people around from my area , Jenny

Unfortunately all the pictures on the site were lost during a hacking some years ago. Many have been replaced, but not all.The poster seems to still be a member, so if you send him an IM (click on Inbox at top right had corner of page, then on "Start a new conversation"), then hopefully he will repost the picture

Was very pleased to discover that Garrison Lane Schools and 106 Garrison Lane are listed buildings. This is the listing info from Historic England:

School master/Caretaker’s house
Architect: the house was designed by Martin and Chamberlain, one of the leading architectural practices in late-Victorian Birmingham * Historical: thought to be the earliest surviving caretaker's house built to serve a Birmingham Board School; Garrison Lane School, with which the house is associated, is one of twenty-six surviving schools built by the Birmingham School Board, which together form one of the most important groups of board schools in the country

Intactness: externally, the house remains largely as built, though the interior has been considerably altered

Design: for its idiosyncratic design, resulting from the restricted site, in which the reduced scale of the building is emphasised by dominant gables and chimneys of exaggerated height; the decorative elements of the house are in keeping with the school buildings.

Group value: with the junior and infant buildings of the former Garrison Lane School (qv), standing to west.

School buildings
Intactness: externally, the school building remains largely as built, barring an addition to the infant school

Design: the junior school is of an assured design showing strong Northern Gothic influence, enhanced by the sparing but effective use of stone and cut brick dressings, and by the tall pyramidal spire

Group value: with the associated master's or caretaker's house (qv) standing directly to east

Garrison Lane School opened in 1873, providing places for 867 boys, girls, and infants, with the junior school to east and infant school to west. The detached former caretaker's house stands immediately to the east of the junior school. The buildings were in use as a school during the C20, although there were periods of closure. The site is currently occupied by an educational organisation.

A Streetview view of the buildings, the Schoolmaster’s house being on the left. Looking quite neglected. 33490668-713C-4909-97C2-BC7F92AD6BAD.jpeg

It would be great to see earlier photos of the school as those on this thread were lost. Viv.

Last edited:
Re. Post #9. In the 1940s the school had a demonstration nursery. It was the only demonstration nursery school in the country. Viv.

Attachments

• 58734A42-ABE4-4B55-B16D-C14DA179525F.jpeg
    58734A42-ABE4-4B55-B16D-C14DA179525F.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 327C911F-AEBC-447A-A0FE-8C77A76B5D64.jpeg
    327C911F-AEBC-447A-A0FE-8C77A76B5D64.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 3
Back