• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garretts Green College

Hi Robert, Yes i was on the Kiri Gold car park, if it was open i don`t know, it was approx 12:15 pm and there was`nt a customers car on the park, but they do have unusual opening times & we are a bit off topic. Len.

Some of the building work can be seen in this pic taken through the gate in the fencing. Len.

I was a bit surprised when I saw the college was just a pile of bricks when I went over to Sheldon a few weeks back to see an old friend. My husband was at Garretts Green from 1963-1968 as part of his apprenticship. He took the H&V draughtman's course - a bit of a long way from Handsworth Wood where he lived. He said the College was a bit of a dump when he was there, needed knocking down then, which surprised me, I thought he would be sad to see his past demolished. It was a bit of a ugly building, let's hope the housing that replaces it is rather more gentle on the eye.

Shortie

My late husband Cyril Hayward taught Engineering and retired in 1993 as Vice Principal.
Hi all, I went there for day release as an apprentice electrician 67-70 and when back in 84-86 to do electronics. It served me well just retired after 52 yrs as spark but not a bright one hehe.

My late husband Cyril Hayward taught Engineering and retired in 1993 as Vice Principal.
Not sure if PatHayward still uses this site but I went to Garretts Green College between 1968 & 1972 to do my craft pipefitting & gas/arc welding City & Guilds. Have recently retired after fifty years in the industry. The name Hayward has haunted me all night as I am sure he was one of our lecturers that used to take us for welding technology. Was he involved with home brewing?
Dave

ENot sure if PatHayward still uses this site but I went to Garretts Green College between 1968 & 1972 to do my craft pipefitting & gas/arc welding City & Guilds. Have recently retired after fifty years in the industry. The name Hayward has haunted me all night as I am sure he was one of our lecturers that used to take us for welding technology. Was he involved with home brewing?
Hello Dave - Yes he did teach welding technology but he was at Hall Green Technical College in the years that you were at Garratts Green and then he spent some time at Tile Hill Technical College before moving to Garratts Green. In the early years he was involved in home brewing. He was well known also for getting students to take his Old English Shedpdog for a walk st lunchtime!

Hi Pat - I remember Cyril well, I was a lecturer at Sutton Coldfield College. He was a wonderful, down-to-earth man with a great personality and great sense of humour. Mayfield

My husband was an apprentice Electrician in 67/68 and he did day release there.
Now he does the electrical maintainance on the houses in that area.
Me too, straight out of school, and back into classrooms in 1967, Day release from the Public Works Dept

I did my ONC Mech Eng at Garretts Green in the 1950s.
Will some one tell me the reason it was demolished.

Ernie
Berwick Australia

How convenient that would have been for me in the new location was in the 1950s.
I lived in Imperial Road within staggering distance of the new location.

Many thanks "True Brummie" for your advice.

Ernie

How convenient that would have been for me in the new location was in the 1950s.
I lived in Imperial Road within staggering distance of the new location.

Many thanks "True Brummie" for your advice.

Ernie
I lived in Garretts Green and so could have staggered downhill to the tech BUT always got sent to techs elsewhere, Aston, Hall Green, Matthew Boulton (Suffolk St.), North, Gosta Green, so despite walking past GG daily I never ever went inside. Provided work for local moms for years, catering and cleaning.

My late father, Jim Hayman, taught Heating and Ventilating and welding at Garretts Green from 1956 until he retired in 1982. I hope some of his former students remember him

My late father, Jim Hayman, taught Heating and Ventilating and welding at Garretts Green from 1956 until he retired in 1982. I hope some of his former students remember him
Hi Mark, I did block release Heating/Ventilating & Pipewelding Gas/Arc at Garretts Green in 1968-72. Was your father the course head in 70/72?
Dave H

Hi Mark, I did block release Heating/Ventilating & Pipewelding Gas/Arc at Garretts Green in 1968-72. Was your father the course head in 70/72?
Dave H
Hello Dave. That is very possible, but cannot say for sure. I wish he was still here so I could ask him

Back