• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Garretts Green College

ENot sure if PatHayward still uses this site but I went to Garretts Green College between 1968 & 1972 to do my craft pipefitting & gas/arc welding City & Guilds. Have recently retired after fifty years in the industry. The name Hayward has haunted me all night as I am sure he was one of our lecturers that used to take us for welding technology. Was he involved with home brewing?
Hello Dave - Yes he did teach welding technology but he was at Hall Green Technical College in the years that you were at Garratts Green and then he spent some time at Tile Hill Technical College before moving to Garratts Green. In the early years he was involved in home brewing. He was well known also for getting students to take his Old English Shedpdog for a walk st lunchtime!

Hi Pat - I remember Cyril well, I was a lecturer at Sutton Coldfield College. He was a wonderful, down-to-earth man with a great personality and great sense of humour. Mayfield

My husband was an apprentice Electrician in 67/68 and he did day release there.
Now he does the electrical maintainance on the houses in that area.
Me too, straight out of school, and back into classrooms in 1967, Day release from the Public Works Dept

I did my ONC Mech Eng at Garretts Green in the 1950s.
Will some one tell me the reason it was demolished.

Ernie
Berwick Australia

How convenient that would have been for me in the new location was in the 1950s.
I lived in Imperial Road within staggering distance of the new location.

Many thanks "True Brummie" for your advice.

Ernie

How convenient that would have been for me in the new location was in the 1950s.
I lived in Imperial Road within staggering distance of the new location.

Many thanks "True Brummie" for your advice.

Ernie
I lived in Garretts Green and so could have staggered downhill to the tech BUT always got sent to techs elsewhere, Aston, Hall Green, Matthew Boulton (Suffolk St.), North, Gosta Green, so despite walking past GG daily I never ever went inside. Provided work for local moms for years, catering and cleaning.

My late father, Jim Hayman, taught Heating and Ventilating and welding at Garretts Green from 1956 until he retired in 1982. I hope some of his former students remember him

My late father, Jim Hayman, taught Heating and Ventilating and welding at Garretts Green from 1956 until he retired in 1982. I hope some of his former students remember him
Hi Mark, I did block release Heating/Ventilating & Pipewelding Gas/Arc at Garretts Green in 1968-72. Was your father the course head in 70/72?
Dave H

Hi Mark, I did block release Heating/Ventilating & Pipewelding Gas/Arc at Garretts Green in 1968-72. Was your father the course head in 70/72?
Dave H
Hello Dave. That is very possible, but cannot say for sure. I wish he was still here so I could ask him

Here is a photo of the college staff long ago. Amongst the faces I recognise are Joe Boaler, Charlie Goodman, Eric Skan, Staff Leighton and Ted Whittaker

Attachments

• Image-8.jpg
    Image-8.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 18
Here is a photo of the college staff long ago. Amongst the faces I recognise are Joe Boaler, Charlie Goodman, Eric Skan, Staff Leighton and Ted Whittaker
Thanks for putting up that photo Mark. Fantastic! Although taken long before I knew them, I think I recognise Joe Boaler, 3rd row down & 3rd from the right, Charlie Goodman, bottom row & 1st from the left & Ted Whittaker, 2nd row down & 5th from the right (although I could be wrong).

Others I remember are Mr Hawkins, Mr Burton & I think Mr Hayward, although Pat Hayward on an earlier post tells me, on an earlier post, that her husband was not teaching at Garrett's Green during the years that I was there. All great tutors with a great deal of patience.

Thanks for putting up that photo Mark. Fantastic! Although taken long before I knew them, I think I recognise Joe Boaler, 3rd row down & 3rd from the right, Charlie Goodman, bottom row & 1st from the left & Ted Whittaker, 2nd row down & 5th from the right (although I could be wrong).
You are correct about Joe Boaler. My father is next to him (2nd from right). You are also right about Ted Whittaker. Charlie Goodman is on the back row, 7th from the right. On Charlie's left is Staff Leighton, and on his left is Bernard Grainger.

Others I remember are Mr Hawkins, Mr Burton & I think Mr Hayward, although Pat Hayward on an earlier post tells me, on an earlier post, that her husband was not teaching at Garrett's Green during the years that I was there. All great tutors with a great deal of patience.
I will post another staff photo. It is somewhat later than the other. You will see Brian Burton on this one. He had been a star student of my father. I see him around, as he lives near us.

Attachments

• Image-10.jpg
    Image-10.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 21
I will post another staff photo. It is somewhat later than the other. You will see Brian Burton on this one. He had been a star student of my father. I see him around, as he lives near us.
Mark, another great staff photograph! Brian Burton jumps out on the right hand side. Also Ted Whittaker is more noticeable being nearer to my time at the college. The last time I saw Brian Burton was about 1993 when a few of us had booked a session in the workshop to renew our welding certificates (Was compulsory every three years), he seemed a bit stressed at the time (and had taken your father's position as head of department!)

Definitely recognise your father on this photograph!
I owe a debt of gratitude to him also because he went to great lengths to convince the invigilator that I was a competent arc welder after an unconvincing performance in my practical test! I remained in the industry until I retired 5 years ago, finishing as a Mechanical Services Supervisor on a number of high profile contracts.

What a nice thing to hear about my father. That was just like him. He was the best person anyone could wish to meet, and would have been pleased to know that you went on to such a successful career. My father enjoyed thirty years of retirement.

What a nice thing to hear about my father. That was just like him. He was the best person anyone could wish to meet, and would have been pleased to know that you went on to such a successful career. My father enjoyed thirty years of retirement.
As a follow up to the 2 great photos of the GGTC staff, here is a photograph of our ONC Block Release Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, (BREME) from either 1967 or 1968. A few in the picture including myself had previously completed C&G at Garretts Green.
I have very fond memories of the lecturers who taught us some of whom appear on the staff photos, most of them I don't know their first names, they were "Mister" to us.
from G&G Mr. Grainger, ( pict 2, 4th row from the back, 10th from left) a nice man and a good craftsman.
from ONC: Mr.FR Forster maybe Bob (pict 2, 4th row from back 8th from left) our course tutor and a great inspiration, Mr.BS Prew ( Pict 2, I think it is him back row 2nd from left) , I still have the maths book written by him). and I think Mr. Cheek maybe Vic
(pict 1 back row 3rd from right) and Mr. Linforth (Pict 1, front row 2nd from left), I cant remember if he was ONC or C&G.
As this was over 50 years ago I know of at least 2 of our number are no longer with us, Steve Hemming middle row 2nd from left, died tragically not long after the picture was taken and Dave Deeming front row 2nd from left. in died 2006.
I am on front row 3rd from the right, the man on my right Steve, I am in contact with regularly and meet up about once a month.
I hope this jogs a few memories. Bob jPhoto_2023-05-09_093700 GGTC.jpgames

I can add/confirm the first names of some of the teaching staff: Bernard Grainger (nicknamed Bunny); Bert Prew; Vic Cheek

As a follow up to the 2 great photos of the GGTC staff, here is a photograph of our ONC Block Release Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, (BREME) from either 1967 or 1968. A few in the picture including myself had previously completed C&G at Garretts Green.
I have very fond memories of the lecturers who taught us some of whom appear on the staff photos, most of them I don't know their first names, they were "Mister" to us.
from G&G Mr. Grainger, ( pict 2, 4th row from the back, 10th from left) a nice man and a good craftsman.
from ONC: Mr.FR Forster maybe Bob (pict 2, 4th row from back 8th from left) our course tutor and a great inspiration, Mr.BS Prew ( Pict 2, I think it is him back row 2nd from left) , I still have the maths book written by him). and I think Mr. Cheek maybe Vic
(pict 1 back row 3rd from right) and Mr. Linforth (Pict 1, front row 2nd from left), I cant remember if he was ONC or C&G.
As this was over 50 years ago I know of at least 2 of our number are no longer with us, Steve Hemming middle row 2nd from left, died tragically not long after the picture was taken and Dave Deeming front row 2nd from left. in died 2006.
I am on front row 3rd from the right, the man on my right Steve, I am in contact with regularly and meet up about once a month.
I hope this jogs a few memories. Bob jView attachment 180206ames
thats a great photo thanks for posting it

lyn

I attended Garretts Green as a British Leyland apprentice for a full year (Broad based training) in the workshop downstairs opposite the Chestnuts where Mr Grainger / Mr Finnemore were the course tutors. They were as mentioned above good people with a good engineering knowledge. 78 - 80 I also completed my ONC there. I always remember one lecturer who later on, crossed paths outside college a Mr Bunny who was a fabulous, respectful man, but sadly has since passed away. I returned again three years later completing an industrial electronics course. Real fond memories of the college, and of course the Chestnuts. Happy Days

Back