• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gardener's World

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I've watched Gardener's World since the days of Percy Thrower, but this latest one is a take or leave it one for me.

It started to go down hill with Monty Don & now this Toby Buckland gets up my nose, its all you need is a Ton of top soil etc all you need!!!!!!:redface:

What do the Forum Gardener's think?

Thanks for the reminder Beamer:)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLN8pjn8s8"]YouTube - Benny Hill - Percy Thrower interviews Amos Thripp, the head gardener[/ame]

I'll watch that every Friday instead

Thanks for that Mike

I've watched Gardener's World since the days of Percy Thrower, but this latest one is a take or leave it one for me.

It started to go down hill with Monty Don & now this Toby Buckland gets up my nose, its all you need is a Ton of top soil etc all you need!!!!!!:redface:

What do the Forum Gardener's think?

I'm with you Alf.

Hi Alf in my case it was 2tonnes of soil several bags of manure just to create borders i could grow something in because the ground around here was ex quarry Ive got thousand of stones all colours and sizes and tons of flint pieces I seriously thought about ringing up Phil from Time Team I made the garden beds 4/5inches deep ,but I have to top up every year I seem to lose 1/2inches through the stones :) Tom

We are with you Alf though we had got used to Monty a bit by the end. I get annoyed they way this guy talks down to the viewer. If they want to cater for absolute newcomers to gardening then they should do a programme similar to the Cookery one that Delia did IMHO.

I think it's smashing Alf.
Like you I've watched it since the days of Percy Thrower. I used to watch it with my Dad; Fridays nights I think.

I like the new series and the idea of separate garden plots which as the series progresses will show a greater variety of the real gardens we manage. I particularly like the way they try to de-mystify the intricacy of horticulture. Maybe they dumb down a bit but for those who are totally new to gardening like my daughter it's easier for them to follow and is encouraging.
Best bit for me: Alice. It's good to see another Red Head on TV

you can't beat Alan Titcmarsh down to earth (forgive the pun) and wonderful sense of humour met him at Gardeners World live last year and was really nice.
Has anyone noticed a lack of birds in the garden, have plenty of feeders but lack of birds

There are a lack of birds this year, I'm wondering if it was the hard long winter. We feed them every day with seed, nuts, brown bread and lard, we did this all winter too. We have the nesting boxes and they are using them, but I fear it is going to take a lot of work to build up the numbers again.

Back