• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garden & Gardening Tips

002.JPG-----001.JPG
Image No 1 shows how I have enlarged the lawn area slighty, it now has to be firmed down a little, some compost added and raked level before seeding. Later in the summer when the seed has grown considerably, I will remove the plastic edging it and will appear as though it has always been like that.
Image No two is of one of the dahlias I dug up from last year. I have now cut it into four pieces as can be seen, looking at the photo I think I should have spread them out a little so you could see them individually a little better, I will do that with the next one. I have now put them into four four inch pots and they will grow on. It may be that one or more of them will throw out some more shoots in which case they could be cut again.

Today I cut up another of last years dahlia toots and got six plants from it. That is ten I have now I still have six different colours sprouting and six Giant ones to come by post. I always end up giving some away.
Today I was seed sowing, about 80 dwarf nasturtiums for bedding and 40 of the larger ones for my hanging baskets, and twenty Russian Giant sunlowers, these will grow from 8 to 10 feet in hieght.
I dug a flower bed about 3 feet by 15 feet, it is full of small perinnials and looks good again now.

Sounds like you ahve been busy Stitcher, mom is doing much the same, I am lucky as I get all her extras even though I have a planer garden - we gravelled the grass area when we got the dog. Am looking at a raised flower bed at some point but for the time being the planters are looking good.
Sue

Hello Sue, my garden used to go downhill from the house, dropping about 4 feet. It also dropped fabout 2-3 feet from right to left looking away from the house which I did not like so I leveled it up into two tiers and that made it a lot easier. We have a sort of paved yard/patio areawith the greenhouse and a goldfish pond then a grass are with flower beds. Donwt wo steps and then the vegetable area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased four tomato plants today while I was ln South Wales, two Tumbler and I forget what the other two are so I will let you know later. I said last year that I had bought four inverted (upside down) hanging baskets for the toms. You may have read on the forum that I had a bad fall so I did not post any pictures of the crop which was the best I have ever had from four plants. The upside down wording may be confusing but these are not really Hanging baskets, they are more like inverted planters. The plant really does grow out of the base and you pour water into the top. I will explain with photo's later. I also bought two small trays of beetroot plants which I shall pot on tomorrow.

Stitcher, momhad one of the inverted tomato plants last year too and it cropped brilliantly, great of you don't have ground room for pots/gro-bags. She is planning to do some this year too.
Sue

I bought mine at the end of the season the year before last from Webb's for half price.

Sticher I told my friend about thosr 2 garden centre's Burcott and Little heath, we went on Tuesday and we loved Little heath best place we have been in ages. we bought a few shrubs and are going to go back again for sure. If you can please my friend you have made it I can tell you, she is over the moon with the place, so thanks again and if you have anymore like it keep in touch thanks xxxx

Hello Patty, I can not take the credit for this day out because Motorman Mike told me about it. Evesham Country Park, oooh what a day out. On the way there, or if you choose, on the way back. there are a couple of quite good garden centres on the main road near Studley. There is another one plus a range of shops at the park and as before, on the way there or back there is a Hilliers Farm Shop where you can buy excellent vegetables of all types plus there is a very good fishmonger who guarantees everything on his display is fresh daily. If you have a day on this short tour, you will see several restaurants, reasonably priced for a nice lunch.

What do you think of that then??? I was just going to make a start in the garden again when I was "WARNED" that I may not be allowed back into the house for lunch if I get my clothes dirty or if I smell strongly of chicken manure. The advice was that I should play with the pooter or do a bit of sewing until I have had lunch, then go out and get dirty and smelly then have a shower and don clean clothes. I ask you, well no I had better not so I will obey my angel.

Stitcher, sounds like your wife has you well trained to do as your told.....would'nt do any good in my household everything l tell Ron to do say goes in one ear and out the other....after 55yrs of marriage l've almost given up...but i'm still hoping things will change........Brenda

No No No Brenda, it is not a matter of me being trained or frightened an easy touch. I am like water with my angel, I always take the path with the least resistance.

Stitcher, or anyone else!
what is the best way and when to take cuttings from forsythia? I have a huge bush and mom fancies some in her garden, but rather than buy one wants to have some of mine. It is in full bloom now and glorious - actually more of a tree tahn a bush as it stands about 10' high at the top of the garden, thriving on neglect although I do prune it right back in the autumn.
Thanks, Sue

vvffg.jpegHello Sue, I took this off Google because I am sure they explain it better than I would.

Attachments

• vvffg.jpg
    vvffg.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
popbottle.jpg
Just look at this will you?? the innovative (is that how it is spelt) GG Jean is making mini greenhouses. Seriously Jean, they do work and I have used them for a few years but someone bought me a pack of about a dozen factory made ones which I use now. The only real difference is that they have a an open or closed fitting on the top but of course all you have to do is take the top off your one if it gets a little too warm during the day, replace it at night. Doing this will also allow it to breathe a little as well.

Due to the unseasonally warm couple of weeks we recently experienced, my seedlings are getting a little leggy. It is too soon to plant them out so I went to Homebase and purchased a number of fibre pots today. When I was looking for a tiny trowel to use when potting on the seedlings I found about 150 flimsy plastic pots, they are made from similar plastic to the free shopping bags at supermarkets and are flat in a large bundle. I decided to use these instead of the fibre pots and I have potted on 18 Russian Giant sun flowers and about two dozen dwarf nasturtians. When it is time to plant them outside I will cut the plastic away so as not to disturb the roots. I also got a packet of beetroot seeds which grow like a thick short carrot, they are supposed to taste the same as normal but are much easier to slice up for salads.
The dahlias are doing well and a number of them are throwing up several shoots so I will be cutting these ones into still yet more plants.

Trevor when will I be able to do cuttings from my Acer and could I bring them on in my pop bottles?. Jean.

Back