• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Garbett Street Ladywood

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
I was watching the news story about Bham City Council's plan to build a 50metre Olympic size swimming pool (anybody think it won't happen?), and I am sure the site they showed is smack bang on top of where Garbett Street was off King Edwards Road.

My Grandparents Jack and Laura Brown lived there from the mid twenties to about 1960, and my Dad was born and raised there. It's just open ground now next to the junior school. My Dad would be amused at them building a swimming pool there, as he grew up swimming in the canal (which I am informed was an even worse thing for a kid to do then than it would be now).

i lived in garbett street ladywood as a child, times were hard but we were happy does anyone out there have any photos of garbett street, i have been on the old ladywood website but there is a couple but they are of what we used to call big garbett st we were seperated by king edward road and known as little garbett street any photos would be much appreciated many thanks this is my first posting i hope it is in the right place thanks once again regards

anniekei

a long lost memory has just returned, when i was a child living in garbett street there were accidents, kids being knocked over by cars, and one of the neighbours her name was betty i think and i remember she painted white lines on the roads telling drivers to stop or go slow it was in the evening mail, i often wonder if this lady was behind the give way signs that are now so common to us. anyone out there remember this i know it was in the sixties, not many cars about in them days.

Back