• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Garages And Service Stations

lUqJYkb.jpg
Great picture. Thanks for posting.

We had 6 commercial vehicle inspection pits when the Oil Terminal I worked at first opened. In all the years I worked there and at other similar locations I have never known anyone fall down an open pit. I know nowadays they are frowned on with ramps being the safer option but I don’t know of any ramps that would take a fully loaded 44 tonne fuel tanker.

We had 6 commercial vehicle inspection pits when the Oil Terminal I worked at first opened. In all the years I worked there and at other similar locations I have never known anyone fall down an open pit. I know nowadays they are frowned on with ramps being the safer option but I don’t know of any ramps that would take a fully loaded 44 tonne fuel tanker.
Dad did, he was accident prone. Mum drove. She parked outside a building and he was sitting behind her, he opened the door and disappeared.

Pits are not dangerous. The people who walk past and into them are (I know from personal experience, a couple of times!)

Some of the garages I’ve worked for have covered the open pits with pit boards/planks, great idea but no one bothered putting them back so you were left with piles of pit boards which often disappeared like the wooden wheel chocks we had to renew every year for the PSV annuals.

Worked there early 80s apprentice hgv. Cooper was in charge of workshop. Nice chap
Coop was the main breakdown mechanic who we all tried to work with even missing our day release. We had an old Atkinson wrecker with hand winches and dreadful brakes. Terry Jordan was the lad who usually worked with coop. They used to go down the pits in the syndromic section and pretend they were rock singers. One day some of the lads, me included, thought it would be great fun if we put the exhaust extraction pipe on the steps leading in to the pit board covered pit starting up one of the wagons and filling the pit with exhaust gasses, should have seen them run out of the pit. Wouldn’t dare do it nowadays but in those days. H&S wasn’t really heard of.

Back