• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Col Frederick Gustavus Burnaby "Galloping Fred” monument

BELGRAVE

proper brummie kid
While visiting Birmingham last year, I noticed, in the precincts of St. Philip's Cathedral, a rather impressive monument to the memory 735px-Frederick_Gustavus_Burnaby_by_James_Jacques_Tissot.jpg
of COL.Frederick Burnaby soldier, author, traveller and balloonist, who was killed in action at the Battle of Abu Klea in 1885.

I 've not seen a similar monument to the memory of "Galloping Fred" anywhere else. What was his particular association with Birmingham ?

Apparently he stood as a conservative against Chamberlain in Birmingham for the election in 1880, 2 years before his death. Percival Hughes, later chief conservative agent, and originating from Birmingham, was his friend and, for a time, his secretary.A brief look doesn't seem to show many other connections

Thank you... and yet here we have an impressive monument to "Galloping Fred",in a very prominant position which (I think) is unique in the country

His death must have certainly impressed the cathedral and/or the city authorities at the time.

Back