• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gale Newspaper Archive (the One You Can Access At Some Libraries"

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have just noticed, I'm pretty sure it was since yesterday, that the Gale archive (which is accessible from some libraries) has expanded the newspapers covered. Not sure by how much, but they used to only cover the Birmingham Post from Birmingham, but now also include the Birmingham Journal and the Birmingham gazette. Still some gaps in each (for Birmingham post it is 1896-99), and of course not as good as the paid-for British Newspaper Archives, but better coverage than before. Presumably other areas coverage is also better

I worked on a project here in the library (Trinity College Dublin) almost exactly 10 years ago in conjunction with Thompson Gale to add to their online collection. Back then it was microfilmed and they provided me with a long list of several thousand books and pamphlets that they wished to copy. Unfortunately 60% were rejected as unsuitable for copying, the main reasons being that they were too tightly bound or the binding/text block would be damaged by opening them wide enough to copy. Technology having moved on it may be possible to copy more of them in the future.

Simon

Janice. I dont have a Brum library ticket, but access it from another library. Usually use it if what I want is on it as it is easier to copy, but even with the expansion of the papers it does not have as large a range as the other site

I agree - but I know some people don't realise you can access it from home with your Birmingham ticket.

Janice

The access via Birmingham library tickets now seems to have ceased. The link on the library website takes you to papers since 1998.
Janice

Back