• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

G.H.Forman, Boot and Shoe dealer

jmadone

master brummie
Doing some Family Tree research I came across the following
Forman Headed note paper 1.jpg Forman Headed note paper 2.jpg They are drawings said to be done by Harold, the son of the George Henry Forman, the Boot and Shoe dealer. Looking at the headed notepaper it's obviously from the 1910s (as per date line). Interesting to note that the address line has been ruled through. I wonder did the artist do this or had George moved premises or some other reason. It would be great if someone could locate the premises in the 1900s or if there were any pictures of the area at that time.

I could only find G. H. Forman in Kelly's 1915, I wonder if his son was just using the scrap headed paper in 1921 because his father had died and/or the shop had closed. He certainly was a talented artist though.

Doesn't the date say 1921?
Kelly's 1921 directory does not seem to list him.
You're quite right that the drawing is dated 1921. Perhaps the business no longer exists and the son is using surplus note paper for his drawings.
Brummy lad it looks as though we had the same thought at the same time!

Here is the position of 264. Thought a photo of the Grapes pub might show it, but only one I have shows no buildings to the right of it

map c1950 showing 264 Belgrave road.jpg

you are lucky mike i dont think i have even one of the grapes...exactly what area did belgrave road come under

lyn

Back