• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

G H Elliott - music hall performer

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
For legal reasons I cannot put the last The Chocolate Coloured C**n' as some nowadays would find it offensive.
I know my Nan and Aunty Ruby were Tiller Girls and worked on stage.
I also know that Vesta Tilley's name was mentioned, she was known to dress up as a man (drag act?) reminds me of 'Tipping The Velvet', that was on BBC a few years ago!:rolleyes:

If there's anyone old enough and still about who remembers.....like to hear from you? :)

Hi Alandeej: I am old enough to remember G.H. Elliott and many entertainers of his era. My Aunt Minnie was on the stage in music hall in the l920's and
my Mother was taken to see several shows in Birmingham when Aunt
Minnie was in town. The songs from those long remembered entertainers
were often played in our house on my Mother's gramaphone. Also, my Mother's father belonged to a "black face" group of Minstrels but I don't know their names.

There is a lot of information on Google about G.H. Elliott and many of the entertainers he played with and also there are recordings on youtube.com of
G.H. Elliott singing one of my mother's favourites "Little Dolly Daydream" and a couple of other songs. That era of Music Hall is fascinating.

I have a friend who is related to G.H. Eliot, I think he was her great uncle, he was very famous in his day, and my partner remembers seeing him as a boy, so one afternoon she invited a few of us round to hear some of his records, she also has a lot of his sheet music, and one of the family has a copy on film of him, I think he also appeared on "This is Your Life" in the early days of the programme and one of the family has a copy or is trying to obtain a copy. I'll have a word with her to refresh my memory and come back to you. Are you related by any chance?

Two G.H.Elliott records on Youtube
"Blow, Blow ,South Wind." G.H Elliott .1930

Edit - second video removed as terminology used may cause offence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our very own Al Jolson....my dad loved both. Know suprise that I'm in the entertainment industry, just wish our dad and my nan was alive to see me now!
There are acts out now that do the same as Al Jolson & G H Elliott, but not allowed to black up, and it's not the same, the voice is there but the visual....!

picture.php

Hi

I think you may be refering to me!! My Name is Jane , GH Elliott was my Great Uncle by Marriage. He married my Grandmothers sister Florence Street (Theatre name June). She was an acrobat. There is a small clip on the Pathe Library on the internet "Sereno and June". She did some amazing tricks when you consider it was in the late 20's early 30's. GH did appear on This is Your Life, I need to refer to my notes to give you the year. It was in May and from memory I think it was 1954. I am still trying to gain a copy of the real. My late Father and my Uncle even today recall the times he used to drive into my Grannies Street in his "posh" car to come and see them. My Father remembers sitting on his knee and going to the Hippodrome in Birmingham to see him perform. GH was offered on many an occassion to do some TV shows at the time. He refused stating he would never use a microphone. He only ever sang and projected his voice by his own means. I have been researching GH for quite a while and I have recently discovered a link in Australia. My new found friend is a relative of the famous Marie Lloyd (real name Wood) as well as GH. The Woods we believe are linked to my family too! Only recently discovered. It is all very fascinating and extremely interesting. Our research continues. There is also a clip on Youtube of GH in a film but some do not believe it to be him. To be honest I first thought it was him but now understand it was possibly his voice but not him in person.
GH had a daughter from his first marriage but she died from a trapeze fall as a very young girl. She broke her neck. GH, sang Little Miss in honour of her I understand. His first wife died young and he then married my Great Aunt June (Florrie). I have some nice signed photographs of him he gave to my grandma. GH retired to Rottingdean near Brighton. He lived in a cottage he named Silvery Moon after one of his most famous songs he sang. He died on 10th November 1962 (born November 1882). He is buried in St Margarets Church Rottingdeam next to two other quite well known Music Hall Stars Lil and Harry Banford.

I realise your message above was some time ago, and I am sorry that I do not recall your name Sylvia. Perhaps you could jog my memory, unless you are talking about someone else (my sister Claire perhaps) or indeed my cousin Penny.

Although this is an old thread, I would like to record that I too saw G.H. Elliott when I was a lad. It was during World War II. He was appearing as Man Friday in the pantomime "Robinson Crusoe" but I cannot remember which theatre. He was an old man then but he danced as light as a feather and managed to sing at the same time. Wonderful sight. Glad I saw him. willey

Just watched the super western film "High Noon" again and realised it broke the rule "Black Hat" = bad guy, "White Hat = good guy. Len.

Last edited:
I came across this thread while following up a reference to G H Elliott elsewhere. Before he and his wife retired to Rottingdean he lived in Wembley Park, and I visited the house often during the school holidays with my mother, who worked for them in the house until they moved. I also remember going to Rottingdean with them one day to to look over the house which they were having built there for their final retirement - Silvery Moon, it must have been. They often had 'show business' friends staying, and I remember them, and the house, quite clearly. I know that my mother was particualrly fond of GH, whom she regarded as a perfect gentleman. I can offer no comments about his performances (though I'm familiar with his repertoire) but my mother, who is of course now herself retired, will have clear memories of her years with them in Wembley Park. I have a feeling that I still have some sheet music of his songs which he gave me: I was learning the piano.

QUOTE=capepoint;326209]Hi

I think you may be refering to me!! My Name is Jane , GH Elliott was my Great Uncle by Marriage. He married my Grandmothers sister Florence Street (Theatre name June). She was an acrobat. There is a small clip on the Pathe Library on the internet "Sereno and June". She did some amazing tricks when you consider it was in the late 20's early 30's. GH did appear on This is Your Life, I need to refer to my notes to give you the year. It was in May and from memory I think it was 1954. I am still trying to gain a copy of the real. My late Father and my Uncle even today recall the times he used to drive into my Grannies Street in his "posh" car to come and see them. My Father remembers sitting on his knee and going to the Hippodrome in Birmingham to see him perform. GH was offered on many an occassion to do some TV shows at the time. He refused stating he would never use a microphone. He only ever sang and projected his voice by his own means. I have been researching GH for quite a while and I have recently discovered a link in Australia. My new found friend is a relative of the famous Marie Lloyd (real name Wood) as well as GH. The Woods we believe are linked to my family too! Only recently discovered. It is all very fascinating and extremely interesting. Our research continues. There is also a clip on Youtube of GH in a film but some do not believe it to be him. To be honest I first thought it was him but now understand it was possibly his voice but not him in person.
GH had a daughter from his first marriage but she died from a trapeze fall as a very young girl. She broke her neck. GH, sang Little Miss in honour of her I understand. His first wife died young and he then married my Great Aunt June (Florrie). I have some nice signed photographs of him he gave to my grandma. GH retired to Rottingdean near Brighton. He lived in a cottage he named Silvery Moon after one of his most famous songs he sang. He died on 10th November 1962 (born November 1882). He is buried in St Margarets Church Rottingdeam next to two other quite well known Music Hall Stars Lil and Harry Banford.

I realise your message above was some time ago, and I am sorry that I do not recall your name Sylvia. Perhaps you could jog my memory, unless you are talking about someone else (my sister Claire perhaps) or indeed my cousin Penny.[/QUOTE]

Capepoint, no I was not referring to you in my old post, my friend's family name is Gray on her father's side, but I can't remember whether GH was related through her father or mother and I don't know her mother's maiden name. I will have to ring her and refresh my memory.

Hi . My name is Heidi, my husband Chris is GH Elliot's great grandson. His grandfather George was GHs son from his first marriage to emilie Hayes. My mothering law, Suzanne was then George's only daughter. Chris and I recently took our two children to see GHs grave while we were staying in Brighton and we thought we would investigate a bit more about him. Suzanne recalls staying at silvery moon with her grandfather and June. She thinks that her father and GH may have had a fall out but she is not sure why and certainly her father wasn't mentioned on the this is your life program. Suzanne didn't know till recently that her father ever had a sister as he never mentioned her. I found this forum when I did some googling. We would love to here more. I realise this is an old thread.
Thanks Heidi

image.jpeg

Not sure why it is sideways as it is correctly orientated in my album. Won't post anymore photos until sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother worked for them for a number of years (all through my childhood) as a daily home help in their house in Wembley Park before they moved to the south coast. She is now back in (her native) Ireland and I will see her in a few weeks. If it is of any interest I can ask her if she can throw any light on your family history: I have no idea what conversations she may have had with them over the daily chores.
Kevin

Back