• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

G H Elliott - music hall performer

Mike , I would remove your personal email address, the web spiders and crawers will get it and you will learn all about the joys of spam mail and sex toys.

Hi Jane.

Not visited this site for some time and was really pleased to see your message.

My mum was kath (Cis) the second of Bill and Maggie Street's six children.

Mum died in January 2014 and the year before she was reminiscing about your family.
I remember her telling me a son of one of Grandad and aunty Florrie's half siblings ( Was it Malcolm ? )
was emigrating to South Africa and stopped off in London to break his journey staying the night
with my mum and dad in Wilton Way, Hackney, East London before he resumed his journey the next day
enroute to South Africa.

Aunty Pat is still alive and well and is sadly now the last of the Street family.

Would be great to hear from you.

Best wishes

Mike
Hi Mike!

Ohhh my goodness I am so excited and thrilled to hear from you. I am Malcolms niece. He lives inWoking now! He would have been travelling to South America at the time you refer to I think. I however did live in South Africa but came home to Blighty 8 years ago.

I am going to email you tonight!

I thought you were from The Street side of the family (I know little about) when I was working through my thoughts this morning! The auntie Pat I was referring to was the daughter of Florries half brother my Uncle Dick.

Anyway, I will email you this evening.

Best Wishes

Jane

Hi . My name is Heidi, my husband Chris is GH Elliot's great grandson. His grandfather George was GHs son from his first marriage to emilie Hayes. My mothering law, Suzanne was then George's only daughter. Chris and I recently took our two children to see GHs grave while we were staying in Brighton and we thought we would investigate a bit more about him. Suzanne recalls staying at silvery moon with her grandfather and June. She thinks that her father and GH may have had a fall out but she is not sure why and certainly her father wasn't mentioned on the this is your life program. Suzanne didn't know till recently that her father ever had a sister as he never mentioned her. I found this forum when I did some googling. We would love to here more. I realise this is an old thread.
Thanks Heidi
Hi . My name is Heidi, my husband Chris is GH Elliot's great grandson. His grandfather George was GHs son from his first marriage to emilie Hayes. My mothering law, Suzanne was then George's only daughter. Chris and I recently took our two children to see GHs grave while we were staying in Brighton and we thought we would investigate a bit more about him. Suzanne recalls staying at silvery moon with her grandfather and June. She thinks that her father and GH may have had a fall out but she is not sure why and certainly her father wasn't mentioned on the this is your life program. Suzanne didn't know till recently that her father ever had a sister as he never mentioned her. I found this forum when I did some googling. We would love to here more. I realise this is an old thread.
Thanks Heidi
Hi .My name is Mike and I used to know your mother in law when we were both young ( in the early 1960s ). She lived in Wales at the time and moved with her parents to Essex in 1962. We continued to write to each other until 1967 when it became clear that we were never likely to meet again.
I would love to make contact with her again after such a long time. We last saw each other when she moved which was over 57 years ago.
I now live in Cornwall by the way and she would have known me as Michael.

Hi .My name is Mike and I used to know your mother in law when we were both young ( in the early 1960s ). She lived in Wales at the time and moved with her parents to Essex in 1962. We continued to write to each other until 1967 when it became clear that we were never likely to meet again.
I would love to make contact with her again after such a long time. We last saw each other when she moved which was over 57 years ago.
I now live in Cornwall by the way and she would have known me as Michael.

Hello Mike(Michael) My name is Suzanne & I am the only grandchild of G H Elliott from his first marriage to Emilie Hayes.
Mike, I do remember you from when I lived in Wales until 1962. I have been living in Essex since then & still live in Essex but at a different location. I would like to be in contact with you again after all these years & catch up with you. As it is not allowed to put E-Mail addresses on this Website, I do not know how I can make further contact with you. Any ideas?

Hello Mike(Michael) My name is Suzanne & I am the only grandchild of G H Elliott from his first marriage to Emilie Hayes.
Mike, I do remember you from when I lived in Wales until 1962. I have been living in Essex since then & still live in Essex but at a different location. I would like to be in contact with you again after all these years & catch up with you. As it is not allowed to put E-Mail addresses on this Website, I do not know how I can make further contact with you. Any ideas?
Use the forum's 'Conversation' facility which acts as a 'private message' system. The contents can only be seen by yourself and the forum member you have sent the conversation to, so you can put an email address in the conversation.
Access it with a click on the 'envelope icon' next to your forum name.
After exchanging the email address you can delete the conversation if you want to.
:)

Last edited:
Hello Suzanne, Great to make contact again after so long. Would you like me to send you my contact details through the conversation private facility, as Old Mohawk suggests, or would you prefer to send me yours first?

Hello Suzanne, Great to make contact again after so long. Would you like me to send you my contact details through the conversation private facility, as Old Mohawk suggests, or would you prefer to send me yours first?
Hello Mike Good to hear from you. Could you please send me your contact details through the conversation private facility[ & then I can contact you?

Hello Mike Good to hear from you. Could you please send me your contact details through the conversation private facility[ & then I can contact you?
Hello Suzanne,I'm still waiting to hear from you. I posted my email and phone number to you on the conversation facility over three weeks ago. Perhaps you did not receive them.

G.H.Elliott's only film appearance was in the 1934 Twickenham Film Studio's movie 'Music Hall'. Directed by John Baxter and starring George Carney, Ben Field and Mark Daly.
George sings his famous chorus song 'Sue, Sue, Sue' and there is a brief backstage glimpse of him with his manager and friend John Acey.
Such is the rarity of this British film that I believe only two copies are known to exist.
It is know available as part of a DVD box set 'Music Hall and Variety Act Memories Volume One' issued in 2018 by Renown Pictures Ltd.
Also included are the 1968 Ray Mackender written 'A Little Of What You Fancy' and the classics 'Say It With Flowers'(1934) and 'Variety Jubilee' (1943).
A must for any lover of the the good old Music Hall.
Happy Viewing.
Mike.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. It is now closed for moderation review. Viv.
Two new gravestones have been erected recently in St Margaret of Antioch churchyard in Rottingdean to replace those which had been removed in June 2020 . do you want to open the thread upagain?

Back