• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

g g grandfather in navy how to find any info?

Liz Baker

master brummie
Hi got my gg grandmother marriage cert and on it it has her father George Richard Francis? or could be frederick richard Francis ?I think he was born around 1860's his occupation was navy any help would be great thanks liz :)

may francis (Wadlow)was my gg grandmother her mothers name was margaret matilda wadlow they lived in aston but moved around a little one of the sons were born in leek not sure if george richard or(frederick richard)francis was from yeovil?

Liz Baker, Was your G/G/Grandfather in the Royal Navy? or did he work as navy (navigator) digging canals or railway cuttings?. Len.

Len thanks for your post i think you might given me the answer as i thought it was the royal navy but looking it just says navy and some of the other male family members were boatmen so being in birmingham he could have been digging the canals. This is why this forum is brill because people like you len with your knowledge I wouldn't have known this BIG THANK YOU LEN :)

Liz. Its a pleasure to help you. i hope your search comes to a good conclusion, and steady with thanks or i will be getting a Big Head!!!. Len. :redface::biggrin:;)

A long time ago now but I thought I'd add my two shillings. Ancestry is really useful to find service numbers of any relatives who may have served in the military and once you have that you open the door to the service records, which up to 1929 can be bought for £3.50 from the National Archives. I did that with one of my relatives who was in the Royal Navy and found an amazing career!

Back