• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fur shop near to the accident hospital

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
Does anyone remember the fur shop near to six ways in Birmingham city centre (near to the Accident Hospital)?

I spent hours in amasement looking at all thel the stuffed animals in the windows.

keith

The reason why I remember the shop is because my fathers building firm did some work at the shop during the fifties. I don't know quite what. I was only about 12 years of age. I believe he also fitted out a shop in Stratford upon Avon for them about the same time.

Phil

Five Ways Islington Row.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Keith I remember that amazing shop,I lived only minutes away.I was both fascinated and sad at seeing the stuffed animals.there were enormous bears and tiny mice hidden among all manner of animals that were once beautiful but sadly grotesque with there frozen faces.Where they originally situated in Bath Row and then did they move to Calthorpe rd ? Mary

When we were small children we lived in Latimer st and that was our Sunday treat a walk up to look in the window ,I remember asking my dad can we go see the bears ,Has anyone got any pictures of the animal filled windows ?

Hilary's sister is married to David Faulks, whose family were the furrier family I have a advertising brochure somewhere and will try to find it out..

Lyn

I have reinstated the original photo above which was on Islington Row not Broad Street, I don't think they ever had a shop on Broad Street, but I think they did eventually move around the corner to Calthorpe Road. I've added another earlier photo.

Edgbaston islington Row.jpg

Last edited:
They moved into this building when they moved to Calthorpe Road.

Attachments

• Calthorpe Road Edgbaston.JPG
    Calthorpe Road Edgbaston.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Calthorpe Road Edgbaston 2.JPG
    Calthorpe Road Edgbaston 2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 38
These were from a booklet when the shop was at Calthorpe Road,
there are some animals on the shelf in the workroom.furs.jpg

Attachments

• furs1.jpg
    furs1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 42
  • furs3.jpg
    furs3.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi everyone I bought a beret style hat and small neck fur "stole". It has the name tag in of Faulks of Edgbaston so I assuming it is real fur? I bought it from a charity shop in Birmingham today, both for £2.00. Yes really ! I am unable to upload the photos unfortunately

The reason why I remember the shop is because my fathers building firm did some work at the shop during the fifties. I don't know quite what. I was only about 12 years of age. I believe he also fitted out a shop in Stratford upon Avon for them about the same time.

Phil

View attachment 136105
i lived just down the road from there in betholemue row

Does anyone remember the fur shop near to six ways in Birmingham city centre (near to the Accident Hospital)?

I spent hours in amasement looking at all thel the stuffed animals in the windows.

keith
Yes I do , I lived in St Luke's road and used to walk past regularly as a child. I was born in 1951. Went to hope st reet school. Think it was called faulks the furriers?

I seem to remember as a child in the 1950's a furriers somewhere near Navigation St/Suffolk St, It also had stuffed animals in the window. We lived on the south side of B,ham in the 1950's and I think it was the 22 bus we would be on

Back