• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FRY Henry John

S

sajones

I am trying to confirm the origins of my gtgt grandfather, Henry John Fry who was a Coach Maker of Birmingham, 24yrs old when he married in 1855 at Yardley to Caroline Amelia Mapson. His father was stated to be John Fry, a Smith. They had 2 children in Birmingham:

Henry John Fry bp 15 June 1856 St Bartholomew Birmingham (he married Matilda Tucker 1877 Barton Regis Glos). In 1891, he was a Printer's Warehouseman in Aston.

Frederick William Fry bp 2 May 1858 St Bartholomew Birmingham (married Eliza Yate 23 April 1879 Perry Bar.

In 1871 census of St Thomas Birmingham, both children, Henry John Fry 14yrs and Frederick William Fry 12yrs were listed as nephews of Frederick W Twist and his wife, Elizabeth who was the children's aunt (nee Mapson).

I believe their parents were in Bombay India where their mother died as Caroline A Fry 43yrs, wife of Mr Henry Fry, Carriage Forman. Buried at
Surat 26 June 1865. Cholera.

Henry John Fry widower remarried to Mary Thompson widow (nee Fleet) 25 Dec 1870 Bombay India (Father was John Fry)
Children: Grace Fry born 13 oct 1871 Bombay India
William Fry born about 1873/4 Bombay India

About the time of William Fry's birth, Henry John Fry must have died as Mary, his wife returned to England and was remarried to Henry Attfield Dec Q 1874 Pancras London.

I believe Henry John Fry was born 1830 at Wivelscombe Somerset and bapt at Chipstable 17 Oct 1830, the son of John Fry and Sarah Budd. The Fry family moved to Gloucester by 1871. John Fry was a Blacksmith. By 1881, Sarah Fry, widow was living in Kensington with her unmarried daughter, Sophia. Does anyone have any connection to this family? I have not proved that this Henry John Fry born 1830 Somerset is the same one who was in Birmingham. I am descended from my gt grandmother, Grace Fry born 1871 Bombay India.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I have found in the 1851 census one Henry Fry aged 18 Coachmaker, born Marylebone, Middlesex...living with his brother Richard aged 30, also a coachmaker, born Marylebone, and his wife Elizabeth aged 26, born Aston..Warwickshire, their daughters both born Aston...Martha E aged 2 years and Eliza aged 5 months......all living in Saltley/Washwood, no street or house number given?

Henry John Fry

Hi Colin!

Thanks for checking the census for me. Yes, this Henry Fry looked to be a very likely candidate for Henry John Fry, but when I checked the 1841 census, Richard and Henry Fry are the sons of Richard Fry Sr who was also a Coachmaker in St Pancras London. On my Henry's marriage cert, he gave his father as John Fry, a Smith (most likely meaning a Blacksmith). That is why I am leaning towards the Somerset Bapt of 1830. I appreciate your input though. I made me check the details again.
Best wishes, Judy

Back