• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book: From sloggers to peaky blinders,gangs of birmingham

brummie60

master brummie
I think this book has been mentioned previously,have just finished reading it and found it a very fascinating and informative book,cant rate it highly enough.steve:)

hi ya maggie,those sloggers and peaky blinders were a ruthless lot,i didnt realise there were so many gangs allover brum,happy reading! steve

Hi jennyann thanks for the link,they did have razor blades in there caps from what ive been told, but buckles and belts featured heavily,and later on catapaults and knives,knife crimes been going around for over a hundred yeards in brum, plus liverpool and manchester,happy days eh! steve

Hiya Steve:)Like you i didn't realise the amount of gangs around at that time :shocked:..from what i am reading in the book .i am glad i wasn't around then;)

Hiya Maggie,me too,glad im living in this world now!just a thought,do think the phrase cheeky blinder is a spin off from when our parents,relatives used to call us cheeky blinders lol!

I have just finished this book and thought it was brilliant! The detail and research that must have gone into it is fantastic. I was also pleased to see the BHF got a mention in the acknowlegments! For anyone who enjoys social history it's a must.

Looking forward to reading this book, my copy from Amazon should be here on Wednesday.

Have just picked up this thread on the search, my dad has asked me to see what I can find out about peaky blinders, he remembers them from the 1940's, so thanks all, I now have a christmas pressie lined up too

I'm a bit confused - What is the exact title of this book, who is the author? I put in "from sloggers to peaky blinders, gangs in birmingham" into the amazon search and didn't come back with anything. I've tried amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.

fashionz

:)Hiya Fashonz
The title of the book is ..The Gangs Of Birmingham ..author Philip Gooderson..it has 3 young Peaky blinders on front cover .on the top of the cover it reads .from the sloggers to the peaky blinders

Thanks Sistersue61 and maggiuk

:)Hiya Fashonz
The title of the book is ..The Gangs Of Birmingham ..author Philip Gooderson..it has 3 young Peaky blinders on front cover .on the top of the cover it reads .from the sloggers to the peaky blinders

Hi have just read in the evening mail that philip gooderson the author of the gangs of Birmingham is holding a talk about his book at waterstones high street,from 6.00pm on thursday 21st october,ring 0121 633 4353 for tickets, £3.00 each ive been told, steve

My father told me years ago that his grandfather was in the Ten Arches Gang, and was a Peaky Blinder. It was facinating to read the book and to see the photos which I have to say look just like the photos that I have of Gt grandad.
Amanda

A good read i thought, with lots of useful information.

Somewhat dissapointingly, my copy from Amazon has a number of mis-prints for some reason.

Back