• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

From Hibernation to skip!

R

rachel enright

Hi all x
This thread jogged a memory of mine when i lived in a flat in Nechells. Melvina Road to be precise. We were on the second floor and i lived with my mum and sister. We had all sorts of pets and all we ever wanted was a dog. We had cats which were always being chased off by the local strays.. remember them? lol We had terrapins too , and goldfish. Budgies galore (which ate mash)..
Anyway the story i'm telling is of our pet Tortoise (can't remember his name).. We loved him, me and my sister and would play with him loads. Feed him the scraps and salad clippings. He was really active until one day he went to bed and never woke up!!.. We were devastated, me and my sister. My mum started having a clear out and there was a skip downstairs. Don't know who's skip but all the neighbours were chucking stuff into it, including us.. Including the 'TORTOISE' ..
Well a friendly neighbour passing by looked into the skip and seen a 'MOVING' Tortoise in there. 'Is this yours love'? they shouted up, to which me mum replied 'oooh yes bab' and went running down to collect it.. It was after that moment that we learnt all about HIBERNATION lol.. A good bump on the back is enough to wake anyone up i spose ... He lived a good few years after that , i think we gave him away in the end !!..
A wise word to all. Never throw live things into yer skip ;o):D

Me too, it always makes me chuckle when i think the poor thing was launched from the second floor balcony to a rude awakening in a skip.. Good job for the hard shell hey !! ;o)
xXx

Back