• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

From Birmingham to Daventry!

Heath Street

master brummie
To improve our living arrangements (bac-to-bac) in Winson Green 1950's my father applied for work in Daventry, Northamptonshire - A New Overspill Town - jobs aimed at residents in Birmingham as well as other areas, could anyone advise how I could obtain any information, adverts, leaflets, anything that was produced in Birmingham advertising this 'New Town' and the jobs available - trying to piece together a family history book to go with family tree - He did take up a position with British Timken but unfortunately this closed down early in 2000 - Val - former Heath Street resident

sistersue61

master brummie
Val, nothing to do with resettlement, did he work at Timken in Daventry or Northampton? My ex did his apprenticeship in Northampton and left just before they closed down.
Sue

Heath Street

master brummie
just a thought, it may be worth contacting the museum in Daventry, its small and used to only open one Saturday a month, but the friends group may help you - https://www.friends-of-daventry-museum.org.uk/eb
Will also ask the friend who works with us if she has any ideas, she lives in Daventry now.
Sue

Hi Sue many thanks for your prompt reply. My Dad started work at Timken in Daventry approx. 1956 and was there until his death in 1980 - It was very sad to hear that both sites had been closed down. I suppose thats typical of Engineering in this country now.

Good idea about contacting Daventry Museum, I am only 40 mins away by car so could pop over one Saturday. I was hoping to find some advertisement paperwork that appeared in an advert etc from Birmingham end, but who knows they may have something hidden away in Daventry - just had a thought I could also try the Daventry Library. Perhaps also your friend may have some ideas - regards Val

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
My late brother in law worked at Cincinatti in Birmingham and then went to Daventry in the late 50s to work for British Timken,he and his wife were allocated a council house which they later bought and his widow still lives in it.The houses allocated to Timken staff were the ones named after Poets.
Years later Ford motors offered jobs to Birmingham workers who were allocated the much newer council houses in Daventry.

Heath Street

master brummie
My late brother in law worked at Cincinatti in Birmingham and then went to Daventry in the late 50s to work for British Timken,he and his wife were allocated a council house which they later bought and his widow still lives in it.The houses allocated to Timken staff were the ones named after Poets.
Years later Ford motors offered jobs to Birmingham workers who were allocated the much newer council houses in Daventry.

ALBERTA - Yes its all coming back - we lived in Highfield Road, the next road along was Keats Road - Poet? Daventry was obviously the place for opportunity to improve ones job, living conditions and surroundings, as I remember arriving at the age of 11 at this BIG house, running water, indoor toilet/bathroom and garden.... in front of the house for miles were FIELDS with cows in - it was magical. I do hope I manage to find some paperwork showing the adverts that enticed the men to take the risk to move away from family and friends - Val