• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Opening of the Sydenham Hotel
In court for supposedly stealing a newspaper. Today you virtually have them stuffing the awful "Metro" down your throat whether you want it or not.

opening_of_Sydenham_hotel.jpg

incourt_supposedly_for_stealing_the_birm__post.jpg

HI MIKE ;
Thats an incrediable read about mr cook getting nabbed and charged for taking a news paper from another persons house ;
I had to laugh at it to myself when it said he was charged for stealing a news paper another persons house
there used to be a law where one could be charged with stealing by finding i do not know whether or not it is still in excisting
i was very much intrest in the sydemam pub of golden hillock and for the number of years its been standing before being demolished ;
best wishes Astonian;;

The Sydenham became an Irish pub over the years, and when I lived in Sparkbrook, I'd used to go there to have a drink with the Navvies who worked for me. One night we found a horse in one of the sheds in the yard. No. It wasn't Shergar. lol

Barrie

A tragic death seen at an inquest. This is a shortened version of the report, omitting the coroners summing up and some evidence. A later interrogation of the slippery relieving officer resulted in a statement saying that he could have done more, but had done no wrong ! It is divided into three parts for easy reading

An illicit romance with her foreman resulted in death by asphyxiation.

Man_starves_in_bradford_st_1abbrev.jpg

Man_starves_in_bradford_st_2abbrev_.jpg

Man_starves_in_bradford_st_3_abbrev.jpg

illicit_tragedy.jpg

Oh those poor men Mike. What a terrible time to be destitute. The relieving officer "could have done more" - sounds like the recent Social Services cases to me!

That thought did cross my mind Charlie, and was one reason I put it on, though I had to cut it as it would have taken up far too much space on the forum otherwise. In fact on 3rd Nov, four days later, another case of a women starving to death was reported in the paper, this time in Brearley st west. In this case it was a 34 year old women, again her aquaintances claimed she starved to death, though she had other illnesses, there was some argument as to the situation with regard to her getting money from the relieving officer (a different one) but the coroner declared that there was no evidence that she had she had starved to death.

Like to-day, then there were laws to help and improve, its not the law at fault, its the interpretation, and implementation, of those laws, if you employ a "Muppet" to carry them out these laws you will NEVER get it right.paul

I read it and it reminded me of recent cases too - the one's where the 'lessons have been learnt' statement always get used - as if somehow that excuses what has happened.
I notice on the second report the names of the people involved are not given - I don't think I have noticed that before in old reports.

I think I can sympathise with the Wolverhampton Guardians.
The Bilston shopkeeper was obviously thinking of the churchgoers health and wellbeing.

wolves_request_to_guardians_denied.jpg

Bilston_fine_for_sunday_trading.jpg

I wonder if she ever got back to Ireland - seems a little fussy to me especially considering the other articles about people people starving to death!
I think you're right about the greengrocer - of course she was only thinking about the churchgoers and not her profits.

Sale of items no longer required by new landlord . Pretty impressive, one wonders what Mr Izon, the new landlord, wanted to keep.

ScreenHunter_1361_Oct__29_00_35.jpg

Death of someone born and bred in Brum, who made his fortune in China, returned home to thge town of his birth a millionaire, but died within six months.

death_of_millionaire.jpg

I shouldn't think there was much left in the Sea Horse Tavern after that sale. Not sure what type of piano a piano-forte is.

What an amazing life Mr William Godfrey had. His 'roaming disposition' certainly led to many varied jobs and money making ventures. It makes you wonder what he might have built or achieved in Birmingham if he had not died so young and so suddenly. I notice it doesn't say what he died of.

I was Intrigued as well wondering what Mr Godfrey died of how very sad he didn't live long enough to enjoy his money.

Dec Qtr 1863 Deaths. Birmingham. Godfrey. William. 6d 9

I am sorely tempted to send for this certificate.

Barrie

I was also tempted. A few dyas later (on 13th & 16th Nov.) the following appeared, presumably to help distribute his wealth. I guess he may have returned as he knew he was about to die. Also, call me a cynic, but I wonder about the source of his wealth in such a short time - Shanghai was supposed to be full of corruption in the 19th century

B_Post_13th___16th_nov__1863_godfrey.jpg

I was also tempted. A few dyas later (on 13th & 16th Nov.) the following appeared, presumably to help distribute his wealth. I guess he may have returned as he knew he was about to die. Also, call me a cynic, but I wonder about the source of his wealth in such a short time - Shanghai was supposed to be full of corruption in the 19th century

B_Post_13th___16th_nov__1863_godfrey.jpg

Re the corruption Mike. My thoughts exactly. Shanghai and Hong Kong Police both had a bad name in the past, they lived like lords on quite ordiinary salaries.

They used to say that the Hong Kong Police was the best force that money could buy. If we assume that he made his money after leaving the army as he had to borrow to purchase his discharge, he did all that in the space of about 5 years. Makes you wonder.

Pollypops a pianoforte is the correct name for a modern piano and in Italian means Soft-loud. A previous development of the instrument was a fortepiano.

Back