• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Regarding post 2676, I have now identified the site of Thomas Barnes establishment as the Sherbourne Hotel, on Sherbourne road. This is shown in red on the c 1889 map below . I would guess the court immediately behind the hotel (Kensington Gardens) was once St Helena Gardens

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing sherbourne hotel, sherbourne road.jpg
    map c 1889 showing sherbourne hotel, sherbourne road.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 14
Hi Mike,
Some time ago I began searching for St Helena Gardens, Birmingham in connection with boxing history. I came to the conclusion that it was the one in London. However, you have come up trumps as usual and I shall now write to my friend in the USA and tell her the good news. In other papers it states that boxing took place in Balsall Heath so this could actually be the same venue. Thanks Mike!

IMG_1233.jpg
Hi Mike,
Some time ago I began searching for St Helena Gardens, Birmingham in connection with boxing history. I came to the conclusion that it was the one in London. However, you have come up trumps as usual and I shall now write to my friend in the USA and tell her the good news. In other papers it states that boxing took place in Balsall Heath so this could actually be the same venue. Thanks Mike!

There are many adverts for the Sherbourne Hotel and St Helena Gardens, but none as yet have come up with boxing.

Screenshot (38).png

Found this re to St Helena Gdns. Doesn't make much sense to me as couldn't open the link. Had a look on GoogleMap at the area as it is today such a green open space!

Thanks Devonjim, looks like fourpence to see the female Blondin? Wasn't she the one that appeared at Aston Lower Grounds and fell from the high wire? Now that I have a definite location I can start ferreting around. I have a cutting somewhere so will look it out.

IMG_1234.jpg
Thanks Devonjim, looks like fourpence to see the female Blondin? Wasn't she the one that appeared at Aston Lower Grounds and fell from the high wire? Now that I have a definite location I can start ferreting around. I have a cutting somewhere so will look it out.

July 1863

Joseph & William Ansell were the originators of the Ansells brewery, but other members of the family were also in the trade, as agents for other breweries

Attachments

• before ansells was a brewery.jpg
    before ansells was a brewery.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 13
Hamstead and Great Barr station now taking mineral and goods traffic. Station later renamed Great Barr, and later still Hamstead

Attachments

• opening of Hamstead station.jpg
    opening of Hamstead station.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes there were papers on Christmas Day then.
Not a good idea to steal from the magistrate .
Christmas in the Asylum

Attachments

• christmas at the lunatic asylum.jpg
    christmas at the lunatic asylum.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 13
  • not a good idea to steal from the magistrate who might hear your case.jpg
    not a good idea to steal from the magistrate who might hear your case.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 13
Yes there were papers on Christmas Day then.
Not a good idea to steal from the magistrate .
Christmas in the Asylum

Ah, Mr Jaffray one of the "great men" associated with Birmingham; the Victorian benefactor. Seems he did the ethical thing and stood down for this case.

Cooper was given 10 months prison and Wharton 2 months. Meanwhile, no doubt, Jaffray continued to shoot ducks and coots on Edgebaston Pool. (At least that was what he was doing 20 years later!)

Last edited:
Perhaps the 19th century equivalent of 21st century chuggers

Attachments

• the 19th century equivalent of annoying chuggers.jpg
    the 19th century equivalent of annoying chuggers.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 10
Then, even if there was no deliberate adulteration of food, there were unseen dangers.
Never heard of Battle money. Presumably it was some form of tontine.
Not come across this friendly society before. Rather like the name flowerpot lodge

Attachments

• battle money at turks head.jpg
    battle money at turks head.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 15
  • flowerpot lodge.jpg
    flowerpot lodge.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 14
  • lead poisoning.jpg
    lead poisoning.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 13
Then, even if there was no deliberate adulteration of food, there were unseen dangers.
Not come across this friendly society before. Rather like the name flowerpot lodge

5 April 1974....MOTORWAYS (LEAD POLLUTION)...

"Mr. J. W. Rooker (Birmingham, Perry Barr) I am grateful for the opportunity to raise on the Adjournment the subject of lead pollution, lead poisoning as it almost is to those who live near the urban motorways, particularly the M6, as it runs through my constituency in Birmingham and the constituency of my hon. Friend the Member for Birmingham, Erdington (Mr. Silverman). Evidence has recently come to hand to show that there has been a drastically significant increase in the blood-lead level of those living around the M6 in Birmingham. A control group was tested before the motorway was opened, and ongoing tests have been continued during the few months that the motorway has been open to traffic...."

https://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1974/apr/05/motorways-lead-pollution

I think the "Battle Money" is the purse for a boxing match or something similar.

Sounds like ssomeone who had just been done for fraud was trying to get his own back

alleged offence by proof house master.jpg

New guildhall for W alsall
Passion for snuff
showing that letterboxes were not common in 1866
Not sure what the "Birmingham Fancy " was. Possibly some sort of rackets club

new guildhall walsall.jpg passion for snuff.jpg LETTERBOXES NOT COMMON.jpg birmingham fancy.jpg

Back