• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Would I be right to assume that the Countess d'Eu mentioned in the article of post 2000 is from the Braganza line, and therefore related to Catherine of Braganza wife of English King Charles II. ?

Would I be right to assume that the Countess d'Eu mentioned in the article of post 2000 is from the Braganza line, and therefore related to Catherine of Braganza wife of English King Charles II. ?

I believe not, as Catherine of Braganza would refer to the lates 1600. While the visit mentions "Frederick Joseph Smith", referring to the recent posts we have done and that would be in the late 1800s or early 1900s. But it does show the power of England and England's money in Brazil at the time.

It would probably be "Isabel, princess of imperial Brazil", which was son of Brazil's emperor D.Pedro II then married to Prince Gaston (Count d'Eu), which would put the visit in between 1864-1920, somewhere in between. It seems that the royal family in Brazil kept ties with England through Frederick Joseph's family and Smith's family, which we have discussed earlier on.

Last edited:
I believe not, as Catherine of Braganza would refer to the lates 1600. While the visit mentions "Frederick Joseph Smith", referring to the recent posts we have done and that would be in the late 1800s or early 1900s. But it does show the power of England and England's money in Brazil at the time.

It would probably be "Isabel, princess of imperial Brazil", which was then married to Pedro II (Braganza line), which would put the visit in between 1864-1920, somewhere in between. It seems that the royal family in Brazil kept ties with England through Frederick Joseph's family and Smith's family, which we have discussed earlier on.
Just to add further information:
The visit's date would also be "close" with the "Vasconcelos Baron" nomination to "Jose Smith de Vasconcelos" in 1863, which was the father of "Cleonice Smith", then married to "F.J Smith" referred at the above-mentioned article about the royal visit. Amazing to reunite all of this information

Little confused as the Isabel mentioned in the visit was a daughter of Pedro II ?

From. Wiki….The House of Braganza produced 15 Portuguese monarchs and all four Brazilian monarchs, numerous consorts to various European kingdoms, such as Catherine of Braganza (wife of Charles II of England who introduced tea to Britain) and Maria Isabel of Braganza (wife of Ferdinand VII of Spain who founded the El Prado Museum), as well as sometime candidates for the thrones of Poland and Greece, Infante Manuel, Count of Ourém and Pedro, Duke of Braganza, respectively, and numerous other notable figures in the histories of Europe and the Americas. The Braganzas were deposed from their thrones in Europe and the Americas at the turn of the 19th–20th centuries, when Emperor Pedro II was deposed in Brazil, in 1889, and when King Manuel II was deposed in Portugal, in 1910.

Little confused as the Isabel mentioned in the visit was a daughter of Pedro II ?

From. Wiki….The House of Braganza produced 15 Portuguese monarchs and all four Brazilian monarchs, numerous consorts to various European kingdoms, such as Catherine of Braganza (wife of Charles II of England who introduced tea to Britain) and Maria Isabel of Braganza (wife of Ferdinand VII of Spain who founded the El Prado Museum), as well as sometime candidates for the thrones of Poland and Greece, Infante Manuel, Count of Ourém and Pedro, Duke of Braganza, respectively, and numerous other notable figures in the histories of Europe and the Americas. The Braganzas were deposed from their thrones in Europe and the Americas at the turn of the 19th–20th centuries, when Emperor Pedro II was deposed in Brazil, in 1889, and when King Manuel II was deposed in Portugal, in 1910.
Yes! Sorry, my mistake.
She was son of D. Pedro II (Braganza line) and married to Prince Gaston, Count d'Eu, which is also referred to in the royal visit article.
Considering she was Princess at the time and that Pedro II was deposed in 1889, we can assume that the visit happened in between 1864 and 1889.

Last edited:
Yes! Sorry, my mistake.
She was son of D. Pedro II (Braganza line) and married to Prince Gaston, Count d'Eu, which is also referred to in the royal visit article.
Considering she was Princess at the time and that Pedro II was deposed in 1889, we can assume that the visit happened in between 1864 and 1889.

Thanks. The date of the newspaper for the visit is April 1865.. (chose Catherine of Bragança as a
essay topic in a Portuguese exam some years ago)

It appears that the Count d’Eu arrived in Brazil in Sep 1864, married Isabel in Oct 1864 and traveled Europe for honeymoon. Their honeymoon was disturbed by the Paraguayan war, but at least he had time to visit Brum !

Last edited:
J. Bettridge & Co, were the leading 19thC, exponant's of Japaning or Paper-mashe furniture in the world, and some of their surviving works still command high prices today, "Buhl", I believe referes to inlaid brass fretwork. Makes you wonder if leaving your masters house to visit your dying mother, is grounds for instant dismissal with total loss of earnings, in a Christian country as blatant fraud. The amount of fires within Birmingham City boundery's in the 19th C seems huge, the Insurance premiums must also have been huge as well.Paul

This maybe of the company…

“The principal manufacturers of papier-mâché furniture were Jennens & Bettridge of Birmingham who in the 1850s produced beds, chairs, settees, dressing-tables and this 'Rococo' bonheur-du-jour“

Victorian and Edwardian decor : from the gothic revival to art nouveau by Cooper, Jeremy, Publication date 1987.

ABA0BF2D-FEEB-4F9E-9EEB-7648A1546D05.jpeg

Back