• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

From Australia

K

Kate

Romulus, My Father
The film, the book - fantastic!

Written by Raimond Gaita about his life. Set in the rural area of Victoria of Australia. The story of immigrants arriving in the 1950s and settling in rural Victoria. The story of psychological damage to displaced peoples - strong character portrayals (lead is Eric Bana who played Chopper Reid). The other actors are just soooo believable. The emotion is palpable. Raimond (Rae's) mother is so obviously subject to post partum depression.

We went to a special screening here in Hobart and met Raimond Gaita and bought a copy of his book for me and our daughter - he signed both. My husband was very impressed with the portrayal of the rural area which was near where he grew up. Gaita said to us that it was a little "out of that time" and the film makers took a bit of "poetic licence". But it was pretty near the mark.

This film has a small budget and may not get screened in your neck of the woods, but try to get it on dvd if you can. Having been a part of a small island where Europeans were brought out to supply unskilled/skilled labour (look into "The Sound of One Hand Clapping" book/film and others in the same vein).

Keep reading and searching - and by the way have you tuned in to the fight about a pulp mill they want to put in a wonderful river valley that has vineyards reminiscent of France? Google.... Pulp mill Tasmania ... Australia is all at odds about it. (Rod you may want to moved this para to another forum - that's cool :))

ISBN 978 1 921145 75 9

Best wishes from Taswegia
Kate

Back