• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frisby; [ fred and graham frisby ]

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
i am looking for information on a family called frisby
the family name was frisby and the mother was olive frisby
they used to live at spring hill passage .then they moved to crabtree rd
brookfields and i was wondering whether or not can any body give me info ; on this family i beleive fred was a builder by trade
and they had a couple of sons whom was in the erdington homes
can any body tell me what number there house was in crabtree rd
the period was in the 60.s graham had two brothers brian and alan .
many tanks astonian ;;;

There is a Frederick and Olive Frisby at 61 Meadthorpe Rd Perry Barr in 1955, might that help?

hi lloyed
many thanks for that info;
yes they will be the ones they lived in perry barr years ago before moving up
to spring hill passage , then moved to crabb tree rd brookfield
perry barr is where they started to addopt children from the erdington homes
and thats where i be friended this couple and the family and we became great long
time friends and the one lad was graham , he was a genius with electronics
he worked for bennie lifts company for donkey years he came from the erdington homes like the rest of the
kids fred and olive addpted from the cottages homes
when bennie lifts i beleive folded graham became unemployed for many years
after a couple of years he finaly found a job at lawley st railway sideing
as a electrician he had to go up on the over head crane
and he banged his shoulder and set off some cancer he had he died about three weeks later in his sleep

Hi, Olive lived at 34 Crabtree Road, she was my nans sister Florence Edith Harrison nee Brindley, they were there from around 1937 onwards I think. I'm just doing my family tree so if you have anything that would help I would be very grateful

Hi harrison,
i have been away for a couple of weeks now and i have just came back of holidays and i am trying to play catch up
and i have just picked up on your thread about fred and olive ; whom i know very well going back years
there one son was named graham whom was a very great and close friend to me sadly graham died about eight years ago
and he was married to a girl from crab tree rd and had one son i met gragham when he was a kid a very clever guy especialy with
electictronics he worked for a lift company and after years of being there he was made redundant
and because of his trade he was out of work for about two years he constly looked for work but was unsucceful
until one day he found work on british rail on the maintenance team at lawley st
he was up on the over head gantry when he banged his shoulder it made him ill and went home two days later he died at home
with cancer ; getting back to dear old fred and olive they was a great team of man and wife
fred was a builder and worked hard olive a great woman ; she fostered her children from the erdinton cottage homes
graham was one ; and another lad was alan and anotherone whoms names escapes me and another little lad whom was of a half mixed race
by the name of steven when i knew steven he was about eight years old and there was two litle sisters whom was twins
i think they was alans two kids i think is wife was mavis alan worked on the bread rounds delivering to shops
they lived in spring hill passage for years during the late fifties before that they was in king standing
they moved to grab tree rd during the seventys and later left and went to live down balsall heath rd end
whom i still kept in touch with graham and carol and son moved out and got a house down old know rd small heath
the last i seen carol she was working at asda in small heath
olive and fred was chalk and cheese but they got on like a house on fire ; fred was never out of work and olive done a grand job with the kids
best wishes astonion ;;

Hi Astonian,

Nice to hear all about them. My Dad was put in Shenley Fields by his father in 1939 aged 2 and he was evacuated to Mountain Ash in 1942, My nan (Olives sister) got my Dad back from Shenley Fields in 1945 and then lived at Parkeston Crescent Erdington. I believe there was an article on the front page of Birmingham Mail about my Dad headed "Astonian by adoption" he has a copy somewhere.

I will ask my Dad about the people you talk about and see if he remembers any of them.

Kind Regards to you

hi harrison
nice to hear from you do you know what year this was printed as i would like to see this
by the way the other son was bryan and he was a single guy and he never got married and he lived down the road from his mother olive and fred
on pershore rd look foreward to hearing from you again best wishes astonion

Hi

It was in the Birmingham Mail Monday june 19th 1961, there's a picture of him too.

Here's another article but I don't know where it from, oh it says file too large? how do I reduce the jpeg/

Will try an upload it shortly

Good morning harrison
thanks for putting that up for us on the forum i will get myself a full copy of it for myself keeps
as i have said previusly i knew fred very well and dear old olive and his family very well indeed graham was a very close friend to me we done alot of things
together along with another friend by the name of dave adams we was a trio together
reflecting on what i have just read i can see now why olive and fred adopted children from the homes for them selves
alan, brian ; graham; and little stevie ;whom was of a mix race ; stevie now must be in is fortys i would imagine
fed worked hard and proveded well for them all
from time to time i do see carol ; grahams wife down at small heath birmingham ;
the last time i had seen olive and fred was quite afew years ago it was at a house off the edward rd balsall heath where i last visited and seen them
i used to go with graham whom was incidently a bob dylan fan ; a very nice guy and a clean looking guy whom was very respectful
he would help out any body just like thread
just before they left crab tree rd hockley graham took a tramp home back to olives and freds one night only and let him sleep on the settee
olive got up early to call thread for work and she had a shock of her life she shouted fred he came down and told the guy to get out
but he did give him toast and tea ; before telling to leave the house olive was,t very happy with graham ;
i called for graham the next day and olive said [ alan ] do you know what our graham did last night and was you with him i said no and she told me the story
i just laught and said well olive you know graham he as got a heart of gold just like you and fred
but as i have said i remember all the family from when they moved from erdington to spring hill and thats where i came from the top end of the passage from where they livedin king edwards rd and under the area clearance they moved to a slightly bigger house in crab tree rd then moving to balshall eath
they was a great family and a good duo olive and fred ; god bless them all
have yoyr self a good day harrison ; best wishes astonion ;;;

Hi again Astonion

Had a chat with my Dad. He thinks Olive and Fred moved to the Pheasey Estate at some time (Glebe Road?)

Alan worked at Wimbush with my Dad, Alan retired on grounds of ill health. Bryan died quite young (early fifties?)
with aggressive cancer?

Fred died before Olive, he had some form of breakdown, dad was told it was the result of his war service

Dad thinks Alan and Bryan were born while Fred was in the Army during the war. He doesnt think they were
adopted, he thinks they were Olive and Freds, maybe put in the home like my Dad was, by his father. The
only way of telling this would to find out who put them in the home in the first place.

Do you know the Malkins at all?

Am typing this as my Dad has remembered it, so ? ;-) hope it helps

Do you know where I can find any history of Burlington Hall, dad would really like to
look up his past?

Best wishes to you

Hi harrison
many thanks for coming back to me on fred and olive
you are quite right about alan and bryan alan in the wimbushes delivery and bryan i just cannot recall what he done
but bryan was like fred never out of work never on the dole
i am deeply shocked to hear bryan died at a early age but i can understand why he always smoked heavvy and loved his ale every day
never out of the pub spending his hard earned cash she was all he wanted to do but he always wore a smart suit and a clean shirt every night before going out to the club or pub
the last time i seen bryan was when he had a flat oppersite the church on pershore rd that was after olive and fred moved to balsall heath
from crabtree rd and yes it was the theasy estate they came from to live in spring hill passage lady wood
then to crab tree rd on the subject of your dad telling you about fred a really nice guy always pleasant to every body and suffering
with his nerves i can under stand why he died as much as i respected olive she was a very hard lady to get on with
she was a big lady in some forms and very argumented with fred at always day and night
he could not do any think right for her in fact i would have said abuse i felt really sorry for fred i really liked the guy
she had him under her thumb some times she would get loud with me beleive me i was in and out of that house for years
she did get unbearable to speak with in later in life
the two twins was two girls they was alans daughters bryan had no kids
my best mate graham and young stevie came from the cottage of erdinton i would imagine stevie must be in his late forts early fiftys now
i just cannot recall alans wife name at the moment i recall her as a very thin lady and small
getting on the subject of malkins it does ring a bell with me and the history of burlington hall as been on the forum in time gone bye
so someone on the forum should be able to give you the site to find out for you to see if notput a request up and some one will tell you
i remember burlinton hall as akid as i used to go there my self as i grew up in the area and went to upper thomas st school and dragged up on the lichfield rd and my grand parents are the jelfs of aston cross and the city coffee house
ever time i hear a bob dylan song i always think of my dear mate graham and the family
we used to call graham ticker because ofhis intrest in clocks and being a boffin with electics he worked for benny lift company
from a kid to man then he got redundant
well harriso i will sign of here for now lok foreward to hearing from youagain i hope best wishes astonion

Hello Harrison, Ive been reading your thread. My son came across this and emailed me the link. My name is Maxine Frisby and Olive and Fred were my mother and farther in-laws. Sadly, both are no longer with us. I am married to one of their sons named Steven. I am keen to know your connection to the Frisby family? Not sure if you are still on this site as the original thread was from 2010 and the person called Astonian is also no longer with us. Who was Astonian, do you know?
Regards Maxine

Hello Maxine,

And welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid that Harrison is no longer a member of the Forum, hence the status of Guest, so probably may not see your message.

Maurice :cool:

Back