• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frightful Occurrence At New Street Station

Rob Derry

master brummie
my 3 x great grandfather Patrick Fenton (born 1816 in Ireland) died in an accident on NSS on 13th September 1868 - here is an extract from a newspaper article at the time ...

"On sunday afternoon, Patrick Fenton (52) painter St George's Street, met with his death in a shocking manner at the New-street railway station. Upon the arrival of the London mail, due in the station at 1.45pm, the deceased was observed by one of the points men stationed at the crossing about to cross the line as the train approached. He was told twice to stand back, but heeded not the warning, and the engine was slowly passing the crossing preparatory to stopping a short distance beyond it, when the unfortunate man went before it and was struck down. He was thrown forward a few yards by the engine and fell across the rails, the wheels of the engine and of the three following carriages passing over his body. After the train had gone by a sickening sight was presented to the view of the spectators [I have left out the grisly details] ... It is impossible to say with any approach to certainty whether the occurrence was of an accidental nature or that the deceased deliberately committed self destruction but several witnesses were strongly impressed with the opinion from the conduct of the man that he left the platform with a suicidal intent".

The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death - The hearing took place at The Queens Hotel on tuesday 15th September 1868. Mr Michael Maher appeared for the family and widow of the deceased, his wife Esther (nee Evans) and daughter Annie Fenton who married Albert Edward Mountford my 2 x Great Grandfather.

Back