• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Frighted Horse Pub - Soho Road Handsworth

Radiorails

master brummie
This is a pub name I came across today when researching transport routes. I was surprised that nothing comes up on a BHF search.
An unusual name. This is all I found:
Someone on BHF must have had a drink there at one time or another. ;)

This is a pub name I came across today when researching transport routes. I was surprised that nothing comes up on a BHF search.
An unusual name. This is all I found:
Someone on BHF must have had a drink there at one time or another. ;)

When I read the thread title I thought it was about some accident with a real horse!

well if its still there phil its been there since at least 1849 must look at street view to see what it looks like now...its a new one to me

just had a look and it looks nothing like the original building

It was for sale in March 1845, so presumably it pre-dates this auction notice from Aris’s Gazette. Interestingly it has a butchers shop, slaughter house etc ‘belonging’ which I think might have been across the road.

BD3286AC-CF8E-44C5-882D-48A02D8DA16C.jpeg

It’s named in the Gazette in March 1846 as the Frighted Horse Inn, Handsworth. Then in late 1847 it’s named as the Frighted Horse Tavern, Soho Street, Handsworth. Was Soho Road once Soho Street ?

Viv.

Attachments

• C2CB4125-F21F-4061-B3EE-9E2173818E16.jpeg
    C2CB4125-F21F-4061-B3EE-9E2173818E16.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 16
good question viv it would not surprise me but could just be a printing error...will check my old map when i wake up properly:)

Don’t think it’s an error Lyn as there are several mentions in the Gazette. Viv.

Very true Lyn. I can find no mention of Soho Street after November 1878, but plenty of references before that date. Viv.

in that case viv soho st it was then it changed just like soho hill was once called the wolverhampton road...thanks viv very interesting

lyn

If it was changed maybe it was when the area was developed in the 1870s e.g with the building of the council house etc around that time. Viv.

well if its still there phil its been there since at least 1849 must look at street view to see what it looks like now...its a new one to me
just had a look and it looks nothing like the original building

Lyn

It might not be the original building, but I'm pretty sure it's the building in the photo I posted. It's the same size and although the frontage has been altered little some of the older building remain, features such as the extended ground floor frontage and the rounded corner which I suspect was once a doorway of the pub at one time.

The Frighted Horse is mentioned in the Stafford General & Commercial Directory of 1818, so obviously an original pub must date back to then. I would doubt that the building in the posted image dates that far back so there must have been a rebuild at sometime.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=I6y3za4alHkC&pg=PA305&lpg=PA305&dq=frighted+horse+soho+road&source=bl&ots=PZenk__ZC7&sig=ACfU3U0_cIbFk6FdILCXqhKwD6oraXhP2g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF6cqm_5_jAhVzmVwKHVnwB-E4ChDoATANegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=frighted horse soho road&f=false

Last edited:
Back