• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

friends reunite after 40 years

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. just spent a lovely few hours with forum members mayfield(keith) and dave inston who lived in the next st to me..dave travelled from weston and we all met up down the old end...this was a lovely reunion as they had not seen each other for 40 years since attending the same school which was harry lucas in farm st.

heres a few pics.. hope you enjoy them..

thanks guys it was great...

lyn:)..ps dave is the one on the left..

Picture 001_renamed_23226.jpg to round off the meet up we went for lunch at the church inn..had a good old chin wag (WELL THEM PAIR DID ANWAY)..LOL... and went though some old photos....we got the barman to take this one...by the way dave loves his brown sauce....pic 1 dave and keith standing in farm st near to where harry lucas stood

really enjoyed it and it was great to see old school buddies get together again... thanks again keith and dave..

lyn:):):)

Picture 019_renamed_17305.jpg

Last edited:
hi forence... it was really great... i was so pleased for the lads... and they say us girls can natter...couldnt get a word in ..lol...

jim thanks for that pic...looking at that and the one i took its so hard to beleive they are one and the same street.

lyn:)

Lyn - thank you so much for today, I really enjoyed it. The last time Dave and I met was on leaving Harry Lucas school in July 1968, so we had a lot of time and memories to catch-up on - sorry if we nattered too much?

Once again Lyn, thanks for being there. By the way, I have put the photograph of St George's church on my office wall...... memories. :) Mabz

lol mabz...glad you found a spot to put it...theres not many that keep me quiet but like i said this was for you and dave and i was just happy to be part of it...

very funny froth....lol....it was a pint of shandy...had another half after..nar...bet thats shocked you.....seriously though it was great.

Last edited:
Thank you Norma and Frothy. It was great meeting dave, he hasn't changed that much at all. It is strange really, as we discussed old times names dropped out in conversation which triggered further memories. I thoroughly enjoyed our meeting.

Mabz :)

Lovely story there Lyn. Im so glad you all had a great day. Really pleased for you. Barry.

thanks barry....apart from this forum being the best on the history of birmingham occasionally it can bring old friends or relatives you never knew you had together... as i have personally found out..

thanks barry....apart from this forum being the best on the history of birmingham occasionally it can bring old friends or relatives you never knew you had together... as i have personally found out..

Never a truer word said Lyn.
What was that!? Oh, only a snow flake

Thanks Lyn
Without your wonderful organisation this wouldn't have happened. It was a great delight to meet you for the first time. And, of course, to meet Keith after 40 years was amazing. I left Brum in 1968 to migrate to Weston-super-Mare and Keith is the first person from our class at Harry Lucas I have set eyes on in all these years. It was amazing !!!!
I'm already looking forward to the next one when the weather is a bit wamer. My suggestion is to have a picnic in the new Villa Street / Brougham Street park in June. All are welcome, who's up for it !!?? :)

once again dave thank you for your great company...lovely start to the new year...good idea about a picnic in the park area that now lies in the middle of our two streets....and who knows who else may join us by june....you can put my name down...

Hi ex Harry Lucas pupils.

I started here at the very beginning in 1958 which was the first year it started (taking over from Burberry Street) with Mr Watson and Mr Walker who were originally at Icknield Street School. Our teams were taken from 4 directors of Lucas, Margerisson - cant remember the other three!!

Any others about from this original time?

Regards

Hi Carolynn - the house names when I was there was Masterson (Blue), Corley (Yellow), Warner (Green) and Garner (Red). Mabz :)

Mayfield you are so clever. I had a blonde moment!!

I was in Garner. I was also a prefect but had it taken off me for kissing a builder in the playground.

Those were the days

p.s. Love Leonard Cohen - First we take Manhattan then we take Berlin....

Back