• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Friends and Neighbours

pauljon

master brummie
I lived at 2/11 Bath Street until we were moved in September 1961 for the redevelopment of the area. Friends and neighbours were split up. The houses in the yard were numbered 1 3 2 7 and 11. Often wondered why this was so. Where were numbers 4 6 8 9 10?.
In the yard at the top opposite back houses were two brewhouses, then 3 toilets (which were shared) and a small shed which housed 3 miskins (dustbins) there was a great gap and an air raid shelter. We also had a stamp factory facing down the yard as a child I was facinated and used to stand in the door way to watch the men stamp metal into flat pieces and it was always warm.
The Gunmakers was opposite and the drunks used to spill out of it often fighting. Never afraid of this as they never took any notice of us children watching.

smashing post paul great memories....i wonder if our map expert mikejee could help out with a map showing 2/11 where you lived and maybe sort out why numbers 4.6.8.9 and 10 were missing unless it was maybe bomb damage

lyn

Thank you for your comments, my name is Pauline - Pauljon is the name I used when I joined.
Glad that I am in touch again. Look forward to hearing again.

Pauline
The electoral rolls for 1920 (the earliest which list most houses) list only nos 1,2,3 & 4 court 2 (which is back no 11)
The map 1889 does include two more houses on the court and one which is at the back of no 9 Bath st (in red), but this does not make enough.
The map c1950 shows houses 2,3,4 and 7 with one space not numbered and the house at the back of no 9 incorporated into no 9 (all in red.) All I can surmise is that at one time the court ran back further and the other houses were demolished, the space being utilised for the works behind.

map c1889 showing court 2 bath st.jpgmap c1950 showing 2 back 11 bath st.jpg

Pauline
The electoral rolls for 1920 (the earliest which list most houses) list only nos 1,2,3 & 4 court 2 (which is back no 11)
The map 1889 does include two more houses on the court and one which is at the back of no 9 Bath st (in red), but this does not make enough.
The map c1950 shows houses 2,3,4 and 7 with one space not numbered and the house at the back of no 9 incorporated into no 9 (all in red.) All I can surmise is that at one time the court ran back further and the other houses were demolished, the space being utilised for the works behind.

View attachment 135816View attachment 135817
Thank you once again. Studying the map I remember that 8 and 9 looked like houses but were offices. These were on Bath Street and opposite the Gun Makers. The drop stamp was facing down the yard I think number 4 may have been changed to number one as that is were my parents first lived in before moving to number 2. Number 11 had been a shop my elder siblings remember this. I had only ever seen it as a house. the 1939 Register shows from number 1 2 3 7 and 11. I noticed the gap between our house and number 7. This had been fenced off and we always thought that number 7 was posh because it had its own bit of yard. Our house as you so rightly stated were not backed by other houses but small factories.
Really interesting to discover all of this information. Opposite the Gun Makers was waste ground which was known as the bombed peck, this was our play area, when we were allowed out of the yard.

you have a great memory pauline...better than i have :rolleyes: hope you enjoy the forum as there is plenty to see

lyn

Two years ago whilst on a holiday canal boat we moored up on the canal that ran along Shadwell Street. Forbidden to me as a child as it was all open. My elder sister who was with us decided that it would be good to look around the old quarter. The wooden telegraph pole that marked the entrance to our yard is still standing and the under pass is now where our houses used to be. I remember that my brother who is 6 years older than me used to make me race around the block. We stood back to back outside the Gun Makers, I would run along Bath Street turn left and down the hill in Loveday Street turn left into Shadwell Street left again up the hill into Little Shadwell Street back to the pub. He ran the opposite way round, he always won.
I never found out for a long time that he never actually ran. It brought back a lot of memories and to see some of the buildings had been preserved, one of the houses in Loveday Street my sisters friend lived there. We finished up having meal in The Bull the corner of Price Street and Loveday Street. It has two addresses.

once again pauline such wonderful memories from you...now that you have mentioned the old wooden telegraph pole as a landmark i took a google street view (below) so i know exactly where your yard was..the bull is well known to a lot of us on here as during the past 10 years we have held many of our forum meet ups there..what a little treasure of a pub it is..if by any chance you have any old photos of living in bath street we would love to see them...thanks

lyn

Will have a look through old photographs to see if I can find any. Didn't take many as mom couldn't afford a camera.

Back